Sunday, January 28, 2007

Love me or leave me...

I’m watching the end of True Lies – that movie that stars the governor of California (it just sounds funny to say that, doesn’t it?). I’ve seen this movie bunches of times since its release in 1994 (had to look that up on the Internet Movie Database – I didn’t actually KNOW the release date of True Lies… I mean, my life isn’t THAT empty…), but I didn’t realize until just a few years ago that one of the characters in the movie is named Faisal. I only realized it after my friend Faisal said, “did you realize that one of the characters in True Lies is named Faisal?” and I suppose I must’ve said, “why no – I did NOT realize that.” But in my mind, I was thinking, “gosh, Faisal is so self-absorbed... it’s all about HIM, isn’t it?” (Just kidding. :)) And now that I know about it, I hear the name mentioned every time I watch the movie – it’s like, well, of COURSE there’s a character named Faisal in True Lies. Just like there’s a character named Lisa in… uh… hold on, I’ll think of one… just a sec… um… okay, c’mon, seriously, there’s gotta be a movie with a character named Lisa… uuuuhhhh… I’m sure it’s just temporarily slipped my mind, because there have to be TONS of movies with characters named Lisa, right? Right?

Okay, I was curious, so a quick search on imdb.com has uncovered a whole list of movies that are simply titled “Lisa.” Who knew there were so many movies named after me? Most of them are foreign, however. There’s a Dutch movie called Lisa, which, according to a review, is about “a girl who loves mountaineering, falls in love with a piano player, and gets contaminated with the HIV virus.” Hmmm… I think I’ll skip that one. There’s a Spanish short film called Lisa, and a Swedish animated family show called Lisa. There’s even an Indian movie called Lisa, which features characters by the names of Kala, Murali, Suresh, Madhava Menon, Gopalan, Deviyamma, Sankunni, Bhavithradan Namputhirippadu, and… Lisa. Lisa?? Okay, that one confuses me. And yet strangely intrigues me at the same time… it seems to be a rather obscure movie, however. They don't even give a synopsis of the story on the website. I'd probably have a hard time catching a showing of this cinematic endeavor, even with the multitude of movie channels I have on DirecTV...

But I think, after browsing through these titles, the “Lisa” movie we should all see is a 2001 French movie that was obviously named specifically after yours truly. One of the reviews (written by a French man) proclaims, “you will like Lisa very, very much… you will fall in love with Lisa… every word she will pronounce will make you shivering.” Does this guy know me or what? This is EXACTLY what I’m aiming for with all these blurbs I’m writing. I mean, I’m not just writing for the fun of it here. I expect after a while that everyone will like me very much, eventually fall in love with me, and all the words I write will make everyone, uh… shiver, I guess. Are you shivering yet? Does anyone need a blanket? (I really shouldn’t ridicule this French guy’s attempt at English… his English is ten thousand times better than my non-existent French…) So, just to review: like me, love me, shiver. (Actually, the shivering is optional.) In other words, it’s all about me.

Not that I’m self-absorbed or anything… :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you got me thinking so I did a little search of my own... 1 movie, in which my name was given to a dog! not exactly the ego boost I was looking for.
nevertheless, thanks for your inspiring idea