Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Luck schmuck...

We ate dinner at mom and dad’s house tonight, where I flipped through the pictures mom took when we were in Chicago. Here are a few I liked:


Me and Eric in front of a train inside the Museum of Science and Industry...

Another one from the museum -- I laughed when I saw this picture, because I don't even remember making that face when mom was taking this...

Rick, me and Eric outside the Caribou Coffee across from Eric's apartment building. I wish we had one of these in Austin... good coffee...

Christmas at the hotel (actually a few days before the 25th...) -- Rick and I took all of Eric's gifts with us when we drove up in the car. It was easier than mom and dad making room in their luggage (since they flew up...).

So tomorrow I suppose I’ll have to take down the Christmas tree and put away all the decorations. That’s always a little depressing. Although it’s funny, because I can remember standing in my living room last year, looking at all my decorations, and thinking in a melancholy sort of way, “it’ll be NEXT Christmas much more quickly than I realize…” Which actually seems to imply that I DID, in fact, realize how quickly the year would pass by. But it’s strange how time can seem to pass so slowly when you’re in the present… it’s only afterwards, when the present becomes the past, that we can look back and count up the many months behind us, and wonder what we did with all that time…

Rick was trying to convince me to make new year’s resolutions today. I was trying to explain to him that I never make resolutions, because no one ever seems to KEEP their resolutions. So wouldn’t it make more sense to NOT make resolutions, if you’re actually hoping to accomplish something? If proclaiming resolutions results in the breaking of said resolutions, then perhaps refraining from the entire resolution-making process would have a more productive consequence. Doesn’t that seem reasonable?

And what’s more, I don’t think I’d have much luck with holding firmly to my resolutions, anyway. I have, in the last couple weeks, managed to break not one, but TWO mirrors… which either means I’m in for fourteen years of bad luck, or maybe forty-nine – I’m not sure how the broken-mirror-bad-luck accruement works. Is it seven years per mirror? Is it seven times whatever bad luck you’ve already brought upon yourself? Does one mirror cancel out the other? Is the bad luck doled out on a prorated basis? And where did all that bad luck I had BEFORE I broke any mirrors come from? Shouldn’t I be compensated in some way? Could it be that broken mirrors and black cats and walking under ladders actually have NOTHING whatsoever to do with what kind of luck we have?

You know, come to think of it, my horseshoe and four-leaf clover HAVE been pretty useless lately…

No comments: