Saturday, July 08, 2006

And don't forget the popcorn...

I’m heading out to see a noon showing of Pirates of the Caribbean, which I’m looking forward to. I’ve heard from several people that it’s really good – maybe even better than the first one. And our own newspaper – the Austin American-Statesman – hated it. And just about every time the Statesman reviewers hate a movie, it turns out to be great. If they love it, it can usually go either way. They’ve “loved” some really bizarre movies… Our newspaper’s reviewers always seem to be totally out of touch with what’s entertaining and what’s not. Or perhaps they’re trying to do us a service by weeding out the possible Oscar nominees from the movies that people just like to watch for fun.

Austin is a big “moving-watching-going-out-to-eat” city. In fact, I once read that we have more restaurants and theaters per capita than any other city in the country. Or something like that. The point is, we have a lot of restaurants and theaters. And the last few years, there’s been an increase in the number of stadium-seating theaters in the city. I love stadium-seating theaters… because some of us are only 5’4” and a half (number 22 on the “101” list) and sometimes have a hard time seeing over people’s heads.

But one of the best theaters I’ve been to is in New Jersey – there’s a theater in the Jersey Gardens mall, which not only has stadium seating, but, if you’re willing to pay a bit extra, you can get tickets in the “reserved” section. They have actual assigned seating, like a real “theater” theater. What’s more, you can order all your concessions from your seat, and they bring it to you. So if you order your tickets online, you can get there at the last second, still have a seat, AND you won’t miss any previews because you don't have to stand in line for popcorn.

I mean, how great is that idea? Why don’t we do that here?? Because there’s nothing I like more than being made to feel like movie theater royalty… knowing I can just sit back, watch the movie, and say, “bring me my Milk Duds, knave…”

No comments: