Monday, July 03, 2006

Happy Anniversary!

Thirty-five years ago today, mom and dad were married. I believe they went camping somewhere out West for their honeymoon, but decided to spend their wedding night in a hotel. And, like everyone who gets married around a holiday, they assumed hotel reservations would be optional. Just because travelers were out in full force for the July 4th weekend didn’t mean every available room would be booked. And they were right – they certainly WERE able to find a room. In the world-class, romantically-appointed Pork ‘n’ Bun Motel. I’m serious. They stayed in a place called the Pork ‘n’ Bun. Now, I don't know if there was some sort of horrible restaurant attached to the motel or not (I’d have to assume it was horrible with a name like that…) but regardless, I’m not sure I would’ve been brave enough to endure an establishment with such an, uh, interesting and descriptive designation. But the bright side, of course, is that mom and dad forever have a good story to tell. And, along with the pork and bun and whatever other sandwich staples happen to be lying around, it’s served up with a lesson – always make reservations. Re-ser-va-tions. Especially around holidays…

So happy anniversary, mom and dad! My scanner isn’t hooked up right now, which is too bad – because I’m sure I’d be able to find some old, embarrassing pictures around here somewhere… Another time, perhaps… :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok...okay....OKAY!!! I'll get the scanner hooked up again... sheesh the pressure...

Oh, and happy Anniversary Bill and Lani!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!!! How many years has it been?

Anonymous said...

Doh! Silly me. I now see that it's been 35 years. And yes, the good ol' Pork 'n' Bun... I go there every year! Their Oink Sandwich is my fave!! ;)

Anonymous said...

You were right the motel did have a scary restaraunt attached to it which we opted to avoid. We wound up at a Waffle House - sadly, the best choice in the area.

Evydense said...

Let me add a "Happy Anniversary" too! I feel like I know you a little bit, so I hope that's ok!

Anonymous said...

Evydense, It is very OK to wish us a happy anniversary. I kind of feel like I know you a little bit too, through Lisa's blog. Thanks for the good wishes.

Anonymous said...

Happy Aniversary Bill & Lani!! Wow, 35 years....that's a long time! Congratulations! How did you meet? I love hearing couple's love stories. I met my boyfriend three years ago on a plane while coming back to the U.S. from Europe. We had a long distance relationship for about a year. Then, he decided to go for his masters in Boston and we've been together ever since.

Lisa & Rick, Kat & Eric, how long have you been together and how did you meet?

Evydense? Dave? Any love stories to tell?

And by the way....Happy 4th everyone. Let's hear about your fireworks! 8)