Thursday, July 20, 2006

But it's really the thought that counts...

Rick and I have known each other for about fourteen years now. And in that time, whenever my birthday or Christmas is approaching, we’ve had a gift system set up – I look for stuff I want, give Rick a list, and he buys something on my list. The “surprise” has always been in not knowing which of my list items will be purchased for me. I’m assuming the inability to choose gifts is one of those “guy things” we girls don’t always understand. So imagine my intrigue this year when, as my birthday approached, Rick told me NOT to give him my usual list. He’d already FOUND me a perfect gift, he said. For a week, he walked around with an air of smug satisfaction, seemingly secure in the knowledge that he’d discovered the ultimate birthday present. I decided to open it last night (which was a day early, yes… but I like to stretch my birthday out several days…) and only then did Rick falter in his certainty. “I hope you like it… I don’t know if you’ll like it… maybe you won’t like it…” Wait a second – I thought this was some kind of really awesome birthday present… what’s with all the sudden doubts??

Fortunately for Rick, he actually DID find something good. I am now the proud owner of two autographed baseballs – one with the signatures of Tino Martinez and Derek Jeter, and one with the signature of Mariano Rivera. And if you like baseball – and especially the Yankees – how cool is that?? I’ve been staring longingly at my Derek Jeter ball, in particular… Derek Jeter’s signature is in my living room… Derek Jeter held that baseball, and now that baseball is in my house. (And yes, I realize that I turn into a fifteen-year-old every time I talk about Derek Jeter…)

So Rick, thanks for finally figuring out that I love the Yankees. (Just kidding. :)) And when it’s YOUR birthday, I’ll be sure to get you something from your favorite football team. The, uh, Green Bay Packers. No – New York Giants! Right? Yes, I’m sure that’s right…

Mariano Rivera's nice, neat signature...

Tino Martinez (top) and Derek Jeter... Jeter's handwriting is even worse than mine! And mine is pretty bad...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday Lisa! You're my favorite daughter. Oh wait, you're my only daughter. Well, I couldn't have had a better one! I love you! (And I like your baseballs. Good choice, Rick!)

Anonymous said...

Haaaaaaaappy Birfdaaaay! Hope you have a great one!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Lisa! You really brightened up our lives when you were born and you haven't stopped yet. Have a great day. Love - Dad
(You know, I had to proof read this three times to make sure there wasn't an "of" in it.)

Anonymous said...

Everybody sing along:

Happy Birthday to Yooouuuu
Happy Birthday to Yooouuuu
Happy Birthday Dear Lisaaaaaaa
Happy Birtthday to Yooooouuuuu

Lisa said...

Mom, I'm sure you meant to say I'm your favorite KID -- because everyone knows it's not Eric...

Thanks Kat!! :)

Dad -- I'm so glad I'm inspiring other people to proofread. :)

Thanks for the song, Aunt Carol!

Thanks for all the good wishes, everybody! You guys are great... :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Lisa...every time you have a birthday the only thing more amazing than how old you've gotten is how absolutely ancient our parents are. It's good for Aunt Carol that she's actually 35 years younger than Mom, and so therefore young like me, but WOW Lisa- you are OLD. And Mom and Dad...you guys are so old I can't believe that you guys were awake at 2:30 and 3:48 respectively...isn't nap time usually 1:00pm-5:00pm??? Anyway, happy birthday again Lisa!!!! Love ya!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I did not have a chance to post anything yesterday...and since you like to spread your birthday over a series of several days...Happy Birthday Lisa...actually let me wish you a Happy BirthWEEK!!! I bet nobody else has wished you a happy birthweek yet. It's kind of like Channukah...you get a gift every day of the week...only it's only 7 days instead of eight...but you can make it 8 days if you want...its your birthday/birthweek...

anyway...Happy Birthday. (now where are those pictures of YOU with food in your teeth?)

Evydense said...

Happy Birthday from me too! I must not comment on Rick's balls. Must not go there....must not.....

Lisa said...

Eric, I think that "younger brother" thing is in dispute, seeing as you were left on the doorstep by a band of travelling gypsies. We really don't know HOW old you are. But you certainly must be older than me...

Dave, I think birthday Channukah is a GREAT idea. So everyone else -- remember that next year, you need to buy me EIGHT presents, not just one. And by the way Dave, I don't HAVE any pictures of me with food in my teeth, because I'm a normal person. Sort of. :)

Evydense, thanks for the birthday wishes, and you totally cracked me up with the "balls" comment! I was actually making a conscious effort to refer to them as BASEballs in my post, just so there'd be no question... :)

Evydense said...

I also meant to add, BTW, that I think that is one of the greatest presents that I've heard of. I'm jealous!!