Friday, September 05, 2008

Friday random thoughts...

Well, we only have one week until our Hawaii trip! I know Rick and I will be really happy to just forget about this whole “are we moving to Chicago or not?” thing for a while. (That is, assuming the offer doesn’t come in next week. I think at this point we’ve decided the offer is NEVER going to show up… so if it actually DOES, we’ll be really surprised…) And I don’t know if it’s the fun of planning for a trip or just a general resignation, but I seem to be less stressed this week than I have been the past few weeks. I still have no clue what’s going on, and it’s driving me nuts… but at the same time, I’ve realized there’s nothing I can do about it. So I guess whatever happens, happens. And in the meantime, did I mention – Hawaii!!

So lots of political stuff going on the last few weeks… I don’t usually like to talk about politics, but can I just say – McCain/Palin = awesome!! Palin ALONE blows Obama out of the water… and McCain and Palin together make Obama and Biden look like a couple of little kids playing “Let’s Pretend We’re Running for Office.” One of the things that has really struck me the last couple weeks as I’ve listened to Obama and McCain is how much more genuine McCain seems – Obama reminds me of a used car salesman. He’s very careful about what he says and how he words things – he’s telling everyone what he thinks they want to hear. And maybe that’s just the way he talks, but I’ve gotta say – it makes him appear quite shady and untrustworthy. Get him away from a teleprompter, and he tends to be a bit lost. It really IS evident that he has quite a lack of experience compared to McCain, and I think all of the aimless, hysterical Obama-worship is getting ridiculous. It’s very obvious which of these men is better suited to run a country… the question is – how many Americans will RECOGNIZE that fact, and not be blinded by the “pop star” mentality of our culture? As Rick pointed out last night when one of our friends said McCain’s speech was “boring” – this ain’t American Idol. I’d rather have a president with a little less “charisma” and little more substance…

Okay, off the soapbox… :) I have refrained from talking much about my fantasy baseball team this year, mostly because I’ve been firmly entrenched in eighth place for a really long time. Which is better than where I began – with NEGATIVE points on the first day. And it took me a little while to climb out of the hole, thanks in part to my number-one draft pick, C.C. Sabathia. He had a horrible start – his first four games gave me 9, -2, -14 and -15 points, for an average of -5.5. Which probably meant he was one of the worst pitchers in the league. But I held on to him anyway, because I refused to believe that I’d totally wasted my first pick… even with his dismal, negative-point season start, I had faith that he’d turn things around. And then, all of a sudden, a light bulb went off above his head (figuratively, of course… well, actually, I can’t be sure it wasn’t literal… I haven’t been watching all his games…) and he remembered how to pitch. And the last few months he’s gone from one of the worst pitchers in the league to the best. So I think C.C. is at least partly the reason why, when I looked at my team this morning, I noticed that I have FINALLY broken out of eighth place and am now in seventh. (At least temporarily…)

As Rick said in his comment under my last post, my “chicken baked in the oven in a very hot pan” experiment went quite well. The chicken was great, and I managed to not burn myself. Whew. My next experiment will be cold peach soup – which requires no heat whatsoever. So I SHOULD be safe…

Well, I guess that’s all the random stuff I can come up with for now… hope everyone has a good weekend!

No comments: