Friday, September 19, 2008

Goodbye Hawaii... hello Chicago...

A strange thing happened while we were in Hawaii -- the elusive, mythical, much sought after "Chicago job offer" (which I'd long ago decided was never actually going to appear, but rather remain a sort of folklore tale passed down from generation to generation) suddenly materialized. Wow. It DOES exist. It was not, unfortunately, quite the offer we were hoping for, but after some quick mathematical calculations we realized it worked out to only 200 dollars a month less than what we considered "ideal" -- and we can probably cut 200 dollars a month from our budget just by visiting Starbucks less often or driving fewer miles (which will hopefully be a given once we move to Chicago and things are within walking distance). So we have about five days to rush around and get the house ready to put up for sale... which should be really fun, what with the jet lag and all... :)

So we're waiting in the Maui airport for our flight to board, depressed about the end of vacation, yet looking forward to getting ready for Chicago. I've noticed something about the people at this particular gate -- everyone looks rather tired and defeated, as if no one WANTS to leave, yet we really have no choice. Whereas on the WAY to Hawaii, people generally look much more happy and energetic. And I'm definitely not too excited about this trip home -- our flight leaves at 10:40, so we'll be flying overnight... and I can never seem to get much sleep on planes, even when I'm exhausted. So by the time we get into Austin tomorrow afternoon, all I'll want is a really long nap... I'm already looking forward to it...

But for now, I think I'll take a little airport terminal walk, since I'll be stuck on a plane for the next several hours...

1 comment:

BrianLaesch.com said...

That's awesome. What is the job? Congrats.