Thursday, December 23, 2010

Not without a few snags...

It's been a crazy, chaotic, stressful few days... but we're in our new condo, more or less. Yes, there are boxes everywhere... yes, there is packing paper strewn all over the floor... yes, we seem to be missing a living room lamp... yes, I believe every available space in my kitchen is now occupied and I still have at least three unopened kitchen boxes... but at least we're HERE. And I have to admit, sleeping in my own pillow-top mattress KING-size bed last night was great. The temporary apartment wasn't horrible (contrary to what Rick will say... :)), but that queen-size bed was just not comfortable at all...

In addition to our missing lamp (which, for all we know, is now in our storage unit down the street), I have no idea where the safety key for my treadmill is hiding. The "safety key" is really just a magnet on a bungee cord that you're supposed to attach to yourself -- so if you trip over your own feet and fall, the treadmill automatically stops. The problem is, the treadmill won't WORK without that stupid magnet attached to it... and the guys who packed up our house apparently removed the magnet and stashed it in a random box. So even though my treadmill was reassembled this morning, I can't use it. Fortunately, mom and dad have the same treadmill, and they're bringing me their own safety key when they fly up tomorrow... (Dad does most of his walking outside, anyway... he can do that because it's been 75 degrees in Austin... :))
 
I knew that the guy who was reassembling the treadmill and unpacking our TV boxes was showing up around 9 this morning, but I figured I could sleep until around 8:30 uninterrupted. However, sometime around 6:45 or 7, I was awoken by a faint, insistent, annoying noise. I heard Rick jump up to check his phone, so I thought maybe the alarm on his phone was going off. But his phone was just sitting idle on the kitchen counter... so for a few seconds, we both sat in silence, attempting to figure out where the noise was coming from. It was definitely an alarm... a constant "beep, beep, beep, beep..." but faint, as if it was located in another apartment. In my groggy state, I wondered why our neighbor wasn't hitting the snooze button already... and then it suddenly dawned on us that the sound WAS coming from our place. In fact, it was right in our bedroom. The annoying, insistent sound was coming from one of the seven unopened boxes piled in the corner of the room. Our alarm clock, which apparently has quite a tenacious battery life, has presumably been going off every single morning at 6:45 a.m. since the things in our house were packed up and sent to storage. And, since the alarm will sound continuously for an hour if no one turns it off, Rick and I had to listen to each box in turn to figure out which one contained the clock, so we could open the box and turn it off. Ah, moving is fun...

And now I believe it's time to collapse into my king-size bed once again... hopefully tonight I will NOT be rudely awakened by noises coming from inside a sealed box... :)

No comments: