Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Baseball is life (no, not REALLY...)

In case anyone hasn’t been paying attention to baseball the last few days, I feel compelled to point out this very important fact: The Yankees swept a five-game series with the Boston Red Sox – and IN Boston, none the less – and are now 6 and a half games over Boston for first place in the AL East. The last time the Yankees swept Boston in five games at Fenway was back in 1943. So forgive me for just a second as I perform my “Yankees swept Boston” dance – Yankees swept Boston! Yankees swept Boston! Yankees rule! Yankees rule!! Yaaaankeeeeees!!!

Okay, I’m good now…

Another interesting thing to note is that the Mets are the number one team in the National League. If the Yanks can keep their momentum going, I think we could quite possibly be looking at another Subway Series this year. How cool would that be? I’ll tell you – pretty cool. (I love New York... :))

And in other baseball news – I have continued my slow and steady climb in my fantasy baseball league, and am now sitting in second place. I have adopted the “patience is a virtue” approach, otherwise known as the “tortoise and the hare” approach. The way this game works is, everyone is allowed a certain number of pitching games for the entire year – 162, to be exact. When you have pitchers playing on any given day, you can play them – or let them sit on your bench. But you’re only allowed those 162 pitching games, so if you don’t pace yourself, you’ll end up using all those games before the end of the season. I’ve been making an effort to stay right on track with my pitching games, whereas the guy who is now in first place has apparently been playing any and every available pitcher. He has 19 pitching games left for the season. I have 34. Which means if I can very carefully play my cards right, I can eventually sneak up on this unworthy interloper and regain my rightful place in first. Which, if you’ll recall, is where I was at the beginning of the season…

And the great thing about the Yankees/Boston series is that I STILL managed to average 5 points a game from Ortiz, but Boston lost every game. Those are the best games – where I manage to accrue some decent fantasy points, but Boston loses anyway. (Gee, I hope this crushing loss hasn't demoralized Big Papi to the point where he starts to neglect his batting average...)

I never get tired of watching the Yankees – they always seem to find a way to make things interesting. I hear so much grumpy, bitter complaining from fans of other teams. And actually, a lot of the time, they seem less like fans of their own team and more like fans of hating the Yankees. I try to tell them there’s a simple remedy for their cynicism – just be a Yankee fan. It’s so much more fun. It’s much more fun to be a Yankee Lover than a Yankee Hater. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It certainly could get interesting for the Yanks tonight... they are pitching some guy named Karstens from their AA club I think... its against Seattle, so it should be OK though.

Anonymous said...

hahaha...Seattle???

Anonymous said...

Nick? That you?!

At least Boston lost too.

Anonymous said...

But SEATTLE????bwahahahaha!!!!