Saturday, August 12, 2006

Setting goals...

Rick and I have been trying to eat better lately – hence all the flaxseed and walnuts. I’ve also been trying to buy more vegetables (and actually EAT them, as opposed to allowing them to wilt and liquefy in my refrigerator crisper). This has been a rather long, gradual process that I’ve stretched out over several years, in an effort to make “healthy living” a less painful lifestyle. I’ve been working out in some shape or form pretty regularly for about seven or eight years, but when I started, my eating habits weren’t the best. I used too much butter and oil when I cooked, kept too many things with the word “chocolate” in the description lying around the house, and had a really bad habit of binge eating when I was stressed or depressed. Consequently, all that working out didn’t have much of an effect, and I even GAINED weight after a while.

When Rick and I found out we were moving to New Jersey back in 2000, the stress of moving and getting settled in a new place seemed to make me want to eat even more, and I finally got to a point where my clothes were fitting so poorly I’d decided I’d had enough. I kept up with all those workouts, but I started trying to pay more attention to the eating, too. I stopped cooking with butter and oil, and used nonstick cooking spray instead. I started ordering water to drink when I went out to eat, instead of soda. I stopped buying things like ice cream or cookies, knowing I’d probably eat too much of them if they were in the house. And just making a few little changes like that helped me knock off ten pounds right away.

After the first ten pounds, another five s-l-o-w-l-y followed… so by the time we moved back to Texas in 2002, I was fifteen pounds lighter than when I’d left. Which was great, but definitely not where I wanted to be. Over the last few years, I’ve managed to get rid of another ten pounds or so, but I’ve just been sort of hovering here for a while. Not gaining, not losing, just hovering in a weight-loss holding pattern. And while my mom will no doubt say I’m “perfect” just the way I am (because that’s the way moms are…), I know I could get to a better place than where I am now.

Which brings in the “better eating” strategy Rick and I have been trying to work out. One of the interesting things I’ve noticed over the last few years is that the more you make an effort to eat good things and to make exercise a part of your daily routine, the easier it gets. For instance, at this point, if I DON’T get in some kind of work out on a fairly daily basis, it adversely affects my mood. Or, perhaps more accurately, if I DO exercise, it positively affects my mood. So it’s something that I WANT to do, as opposed to something I HAVE to do. And eating better has just become more of a habit – it’s actually possible for me to have ice cream or a box of cookies in my house now, because I’m not compelled to eat everything in one sitting. That’s just not a part of my habitual eating anymore, fortunately.

But, like I said, I’ve been in a holding pattern for quite some time. So I’ve been attempting to make a few more small changes, to hopefully help me break out of it. And where better to keep myself accountable than on my blog? If the entire world knows I’m trying to eat better and work out more (and by “entire world” I mean the handful of people who read my blog on a daily basis… :)) then maybe I’ll be more apt to stick with my new habits. One of the things I’m working on right now is running more – I’ve always been more of a walker than a runner, but I’m trying to slowly add bursts of running to my work outs. Eventually, I’d like to be able to run a few miles without gasping for breath or collapsing on my treadmill. And the other thing I’m working on is eating better – Rick and I are both trying to work on that, but it’s not always easy. Like this morning, I realized I had an entire bunch of bananas on my counter that I’d forgotten about. I bought them last time I was at the grocery store, intending on eating them when I wanted a snack. But apparently I’ve been snacking on other things, because there they are – an entire bunch of bananas, slowly browning and growing mushy even as I type. So I set them on the counter next to my computer, and I already ate one with a bowl of soup for lunch. Now I only have four left…

So it looks like it’s gonna be bananas and jogging on the treadmill next week... just not at the same time – those banana peels make the treadmill really slippery.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Lisa, you are perfect just the way you are! And by the way, over-ripe bananas make great banana bread. Oh wait, you probably don't want to eat banana bread. But I'll eat it! Don't throw those bananas out!

Love you!

Lisa said...

See? I KNEW you'd say that. :)

Banana bread sounds good... I might eat it anyway, even if it's not good for me... And I have a nifty glass bread pan that you gave me for Christmas, so I might as well use it, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's right! And bananas are very good for you. How bad can banana bread be? :-)

Evydense said...

Aw Mom! You stole my thunder (big, male pout!). I was going to suggest Banana Bread too. With lots of walnuts.

Now, Lisa, are you doing this healthy stuff to be healthy, or to lose weight so that other people will think "Oh! Now, THERE goes a hubba-hubba- Hollywood clone!!"

I'll bet you can guess which I don't think is a valid motivtion!

Lisa said...

Sounds like banana bread it is... and these bananas are just about at the point where eating them as is would be a little too icky for my taste... :)

Evydense -- I'm not sure I could reach "Hollywood" standards even if I DID want that -- it's pretty sad how unrealistic they are, isn't it? I actually really try to not worry about any particular number on the scale (I can't even remember the last time I weighed myself...), and try to focus more on things like how my clothes are fitting, how far I can run without stopping, how well I've eaten for the week, etc.

I think one of my main goals is to just establish some good habits NOW, so that as I get older, I'll still be active and strong and running around and traveling everywhere and exploring new places and doing new things. So I have to start all this NOW, while I'm young and sprightly. Have to stay young and sprightly for as long as possible. :)

Evydense said...

For your potential consideration, edification, and enjoyment!!
_____________

Nutritional Info:
Serving Size = 1/2 inch slice
Calories 131
Total fat 4.2 g
Carbohydrate 21.4 g
Dietary fibre 1.1 g
Protein 2.4 g
Iron 9 %DV
Diabetes Food Choices
1/2 inch slice = 1-1/2 Carbohydrates + 1 Fats

Prep: 10 min
Ready In: 1 hr 25 min
Serves: 18

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 bananas)

1/4 cup oil

1/4 cup water

1 1/2 cups POST SELECTS Banana Nut Crunch Cereal

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

PROCEDURE:
_______________________

PREHEAT oven to 350°F.

MIX flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.

BEAT eggs in small bowl. Add bananas, oil and water; mix well. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. (Batter will be lumpy.) Stir in cereal and walnuts.

POUR into greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.

BAKE 55 min. to 1 hour 5 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 min.; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

Make it Easy:
For easier slicing, wrap bread and store overnight at room temperature before slicing.

(Just in case you're stumped!!)

Cheers!

Lisa said...

Okay, if anyone else has a craving for banana bread, c'mon over to my house tomorrow... I think I'm gonna have a couple loaves to share. :)

Anonymous said...

Cool!!! I'm getting Banana bread soon... (been trying to get Lisa to make it again for years).... she makes the BEST banana bread!