Monday, August 21, 2006

Thirteen years...



Since today is our thirteenth anniversary, I thought I'd post my favorite wedding picture. Although when I look at it now, I really hate my dress -- those sleeves were ridiculously poofy and much too busily sequined. But oh well... since we got married at the end of the summer, and my dress was off-shoulder, I spent that entire summer OUT of the sun. I didn't want to risk any strange tan lines (ha ha! As if THAT would've happened... no, seriously, I DO get tan now and then...). And then two days before the wedding, I was ironing some clothes and I burned my arm -- I don't think you can see it in this picture, but there are several wedding pictures where you can see the big burn mark on the side of my arm. So I succeeded in avoiding tan lines, but wound up with a big blemish anyway...

It's actually funny how much time and energy and money goes into ONE little day, and how, when it's over, you end up thinking, "I can't believe I spent all that time and energy and money on THAT..." It's this giant amount of stress for something that ends up being rather trivial. Of course, this is something you don't realize until AFTER the wedding, so the idea of, say, eloping never seems as amazingly smart as it does five minutes after the wedding is over. (Hey! You know what we should've done? Put all that money in the bank and gone to Vegas!) But, as with many other things in life, the wedding isn't really for the people getting married, anyway -- it's much more for the families. Even if I'd realized BEFORE my wedding that my time could've been better spent in other ways, I'm not sure my MOM would've ever forgiven me... :)

Our friends Nick and Cindy have four kids -- three of whom are girls. And, when they're older, if tradition has held up and the daughter's parents are expected to pay for the wedding, Nick and Cindy could be looking at some serious wedding expenses. Which is why I've suggested telling their daughters NOW about the amazing Elvis Presley. In fact, Elvis is SO amazing, that it would be an honor to have him officiate a wedding. And where can you go, any time of the day or night, to be married by Elvis? Why, Las Vegas, of course! :)

Hey, it's just an idea...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Lovebirds!!! Cheers to many, many more!

Evydense said...

Happy, Happy anniversary! Yesterday was the first day in eons that I didn't get around to everyone's site, and as 'unluck' would have it, I'd ended up picking such an important day for the two of you. I'm with your Mom on this one...Vegas silliness makes a mockery of the commitment that you make in front of your entire family, friends and whoever else is important to the two of you. Sure, most people go way overboard for the day, but that's so it's not just another day on the calendar.

End of sermon! LOL

Congratulations again, and here's to many, many more.