Saturday, January 08, 2011

Weekend randomness...

So last night we experienced one of the downsides of condo-living: one of our neighbors was apparently having some sort of party, and we could still hear music and loud voices through our bedroom wall at 1 in the morning. It was one of those obviously drunk get-togethers, where the guests don't realize that they don't have to shout to be heard by people in the same room. There was also an abnormal amount of "woooooing" going on (not to be confused with "wooing," which is an entirely different thing), which leads me to believe that they were playing a game of some sort and felt the need to exclaim every time someone won/lost/answered a question correctly/killed the zombie/guessed what the drawing meant/drove the virtual car fastest/had the highest hand/whatever... We debated whether to be the uncool neighbors and complain, but we decided against it. This morning, however, we found the binder we were given when we moved in with all the "rules and regulations" of condo living, and found the page which clearly spells out that the hours between 11 pm and 8 am are considered "quiet hours." If crazy party-goers show up again, I may highlight those hours and stick the page on my neighbor's door...

Before the disappointing end to the day, we actually had a very nice dinner -- we walked around the block (in the falling snow! I love walking through freshly fallen snow... :)) to a place called Mon Ami Gabi, which is like a French bistro-type restaurant. They serve everything with "frites," which is just the French word for French fries. Which makes me wonder -- why do we call them FRENCH fries if FRENCH people call them frites??? We then walked home by way of the grocery store, so we could pick up a few staples. The girl who checked us out was randomly babbling about how she was craving cheese, which made her feel rat-like... um... ok... please give me my groceries, Rat Girl...

Despite our brief snow shower last night, and a few slightly snowy days in December, we really haven't had much snow here yet. People back in Austin keep asking me how much snow we have, and I'm like, "uh, not much..." I'm not sure they believe me... Apparently there is a belief that Chicago = snow. No, but Chicago DOES = cold... 

Hey, am I the only one who's weirdly attracted to the Allstate mayhem guy? I just get all giggly when he winks at me... (he IS winking at ME, right??)


Okay, off to find lunch somewhere, which means a walk through the 20-degree weather. I can do it... I'm strong... I can withstand anything... maybe...

2 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

If you actually like the Allstate guy, you should check out the HBO series "Oz" on DVD. He was an integral part and a main character of the series.

Nice updated profile pic.

As for snow, just wait, you'll get slammed just like we did this week, which was anywhere from 6 to 18 inches depending on where you live in the state.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd as for noisy neighbors, when I lived in a trailer park we had problems with neighbors throwing outdoor parties in the summer. Made it kind of hard to sleep.

Lisa said...

You know, I didn't even realize that guy was a "real" actor until I checked out his bio on IMDB the other day. Maybe I'll check out Oz sometime... :)

Thanks for the compliment about the new picture!

Yeah, I'm sure the snow is coming -- I suppose I should enjoy the clear weather while I can. :)