Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas

‘Twas the night before Christmas, and here in my home,
I thought I would pen a Christmas Eve poem.
I’d wrapped all the gifts with paper and bows,
I’d searched my TV for holiday shows.

Echo and Allegro were snug on the floor,
Dreaming of squirrels and fish and pet stores.
And Rick in his study, and I writing like so,
Had just returned from our trip to Chicago.

And out on the lawn, there was nothing but grass.
I asked God for snow, but he said, “I think I’ll pass.”
Even Chicago, with its cold wind of ice,
Was temperate, and mild, and pleasant, and nice.

There was no moon shining on drifts of white snow,
No flakes falling freely to catch the moon’s glow.
That which to my wondering eyes did appear
Was simply my neighbor’s light-up reindeer.

“Hey, Rick! Hey Echo! Allegro, you too!
Remember New Jersey, where the snow would fall new?
It would reach the top of the porch! It would reach the top of the wall!
Giant drifts of black mush would collect at the mall!”

It was slushy and festive, a right jolly old sight,
It would land on my eyelashes, fluffy and light.
But then with barely a turn of the head,
An hour of shoveling there would be to dread.

So I realized that while I considered snow a big perk,
To wish it on these southerners might make me a jerk.
I’d lay aside my longings for cold and for ice,
Perhaps I’d never see smoke from my chimney arise.

And that’s the way weather is here in Austin,
If I get tired of the sun, I’ll just move to Boston.
After all, this season is about more than just snow.
Like gathering with friends and family at home.

So as I unwrap my gifts tomorrow in 60-degree temps,
The lack of winter weather I will not lament.
I have but one line to add before I turn out the light:
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”


Okay, I'm obviously not the best poet. :) Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all have a great day. And to those who don't celebrate the holiday, I wish you all the peace and contentment and happiness of this season. I think there's enough to go around... Love you guys! (Yes, even YOU, Eric! :))

No comments: