Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Where'd the tracks go?

So who watched Heroes last night? Yesterday was the last new episode until January, so now I have to wait a month and half to find out what’s going on. I still can’t tell if the cheerleader’s dad is a good guy or a bad guy… I thought he was a bad guy, but maybe he’s actually trying to HELP the heroes? But then why does he keep erasing everyone’s memories? Or is that some kind of effort to thwart Sylar, who apparently really, really likes brains? Or maybe they’re BOTH bad guys… I have no idea. But Rick and I think that the “bomb” in Manhattan is because Peter will eventually come into contact with radioactive guy, and he won’t know how to control the power. (Wow… I’m just realizing that if you don’t watch this show, this entire paragraph must’ve sounded really bizarre…)

I believe Heroes has actually managed to surpass Lost as my favorite show. Even with this month and a half break in new programming – it’s still better than the fact that Lost gave us about six episodes and disappeared entirely. (When does it start up again? Like June of 2009? I can’t remember.) Matthew Fox from Lost was on Saturday Night Live this past weekend… I guess he has time to do stuff like that because he’s not making any NEW SHOWS. Every sketch was about how women think he’s sooooo handsome and attractive… which is funny, because I can think of at least three guys on Lost who are more attractive than Matthew Fox. (But then again, I have really bad taste in men. I mean WEIRD taste in men… no, no, definitely bad. Wait, which is worse? Maybe it’s weird.) I’m joking, of course… but Rick will still come home tonight and ask why I wrote such horrible things in my blog today. :) I’m not talking about Rick, anyway – I’m talking about all the OTHER guys. Like Jean-Pierre. And Juan-Carlos. And Ivan-Sergei. (Why do all my imaginary boyfriends have hyphenated ethnic names???)

So last night before Heroes I made a chicken salad for dinner, which evidently wasn’t very filling – because we decided to make a quick run to Sonic for dessert. The Sonic is about five minutes from our house, on the corner of a major intersection, just beyond some railroad tracks. And of course, as soon as we’d bought our ice cream and turned around to make the short five-minute drive home, the flashing red lights on the railroad track and descending gates announced the arrival of a train. Normally this wouldn’t be a very big deal, but I WAS holding a cup of ice cream, and I wanted to get it home before it melted. So I was hoping for a short train. But as the train approached, it slowed to a crawl and then STOPPED just before it reached the road crossing. For a moment, the gates on the opposite side of the road were raised, and a few brave cars snuck across before they were once again lowered into place. By this time, a man had jumped out of the train, and Rick and I were having Montana train flashbacks – when we were stuck at a railroad crossing for fifteen minutes while a train inexplicably, seemingly for no reason whatsoever, rolled slowly back and forth on the tracks.

Fortunately, that wasn’t the case last night. But I was confused by another bit of inexplicable behavior – the man who jumped out of the train lit a flare, and then s-l-o-w-l-y walked the train across the tracks. I mean, seriously, that’s what it looked like. It was like the train couldn’t see where it was going, so this guy had to light a flare and show it the path. (I can’t see the tracks! I can’t see the tracks! Somebody jump out there and lead the way…) And then, as soon as the train made it across the road, the man dropped the flare on the opposite side, and climbed back on board the train. What was that??? I was so confused by the bizarre flare-brandishing, train-leading man that I forgot about my melting ice cream. The train turned out to only be about ten cars long, so once it had been walked across the tracks, we were on our way pretty quickly.

And I know everyone will be happy to know that my ice cream survived just fine… :)

No comments: