Friday, May 12, 2006

Chacon, we hardly knew ye...

Joe Torre only kept Chacon in the game for four and a half innings last night. Which meant that even if the Yankees DID manage to come out on top, I wouldn’t be getting any kind of decent fantasy points for it because Chacon wouldn’t be credited with a win. And up until that point, I was holding onto hope for a victory… I was still preserving my faith in Chacon and the Yankees. But perhaps Matsui’s broken wrist was an indication of how things were destined to turn out. Once Chacon was pulled from the game, the Yankees apparently set up a revolving door in the bullpen, so the six pitchers who followed could drift from warm up/pitcher’s mound/dugout with barely a commercial break in between. And I STILL believe the Yankees would’ve won if Chacon had been allowed to pitch just a little longer. Yes, his pitch count was climbing fast, but the Yankees were ahead and they had the momentum that comes with settling into a routine. Pulling Chacon broke the routine, and it was all downhill from there…

Fortunately for me, Jeter was one of the Yankees actually playing to win last night. I ended up with 11 points from Jeter alone – more than any of my other players managed to eke out. But it could’ve been worse – two of the guys in the league finished with -2 points last night. So it’s always nice to see that smidgen of validation that assures me I’m not a total loser.

And on a completely different subject (unless I can manage to tie it back in to the first two paragraphs) here’s another picture from Montana:


This is Eric and Dave at a place called Odie’s Big Sky Café. Odie’s is famous for its overabundance of fried food, its “can’t be bothered to update” décor, and it’s scary, mustached man-waitress. Okay, maybe it’s not actually “famous” per se… Odie’s also has great pie, as evidenced by this picture. Eric and Dave were not eating lunch. Or dinner. Or a midnight snack. This was breakfast – coconut cream pie and orange juice. And I’m told the pie was followed by blueberry pancakes and bacon. Pie, pancakes and bacon? Ugh… gotta go buy some Pepto Bismol…

I’ve also been told that Scooter the Mouse has met an unfortunate demise, and, thankfully, no pictures are available. I can only imagine that Eric saw the little thing scurrying across the cabin floor, pulled his gun, and ordered it to stay where it was. And when Scooter, in a display of mousey defiance, continued to scurry, the bullets must’ve started to fly. Honestly Eric – it was a MOUSE, and you’re in a cabin in the middle of Montana. Couldn’t someone have lured it outside with a cube of cheese so it could continue to run free with all the other living creatures that make those unnerving noises in the dead of night? Poor, poor Scooter…

“Scooter,” by the way, is ex-Yankee shortstop Phil Rizzuto’s nickname. And what do you know? I really DID manage to tie everything together…

No comments: