Saturday, May 13, 2006

Happy Mom's Day!

My mom likes to tell the story of how, when I was seven years old, I decided it was time to get my ears pierced. I was, after all, a mature second-grader, having left the frivolous finger paintings and nap times of kindergarten behind me long ago (two years IS an eternity to a seven-year-old). So one night after dinner, overcome with a sudden surge of confidence, I announced that we should go to the mall and get our ears pierced. WE should go to the mall and get OUR ears pierced. Not just me – I expected my mom to willingly join in. And what’s more, once we did get to the ear-piercing kiosk in the middle of the mall, I made my mom go first. Apparently I wanted to observe the possible side-effects of introducing small, golden, foreign objects into the earlobe before I underwent the procedure myself. If my mom survived, then there should be a good chance that I would survive, as well. And of course my mom did go first – and although I can’t remember, I’m sure she must’ve said reassuring things to me when it was my turn. Because she’s a mom, and that’s what moms do.

These days, my mom is still one of the most compassionate, generous people I know. She’s always willing to help out with anything she can… She happily makes coffee runs and brings me a caramel latte even on days I’m too sleepy to leave the house in the morning… She always seems to discover extra stamps for me after she’s made a trip to the post office… She’s the best amateur travel agent in the world, and plenty of friends and family members can attest to the vacations and cruises she’s planned with the precision of a Swiss watch… She almost always has chocolate in her house (almost…) and makes better pies than anyone I know… I know I could call my mom, day or night, and she’d always be there if I needed anything. And I’m sure I don’t thank her enough for everything she does. So mom, thanks for all the coffee, stamps, cruises, pies, bird-watching tips, motherly advice, encouragement, compliments and support. I love you!

By the way, I’m thinking of getting my bellybutton pierced – will you come with me? But you’ll have to go first…






Mom and me in Hawaii, before she got her cool new haircut... :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO!!!!! Not your bellybutton!!! And definitely not mine!!!! Thank you for the kind words. It's very easy to do things like that when you have as nice a daughter as I do! I love you too!

Anonymous said...

P.S. That was the nicest Mother's Day present anyone could receive!

Anonymous said...

P.P.S. Thought I'd better type my name in this time. I really don't want to be "anonymous".

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa, I'll go with you! Maybe we can also think of some other original body places to get pierced, too. And how 'bout a couple tattoos? You could get one that says "I Love My Aunt" :)

Lisa said...

Cool!! I'll put it right next to my skull and crossbones... this is gonna be fun! :)

And happy Mom's Day to you, too, Aunt Carol!

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was the favorite child...curse you and your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, yeah, we got the best Mom. (Aunt Carol might be tied!) Gotta get a blog before Father's day....
Love ya Mom!!!!