Friday, May 26, 2006

Heading to Buffalo...

Or should I say “shuffling off to Buffalo”? What is that from? 42nd Street? Yeah, I think it’s 42nd Street. And if I remember correctly, the two people “shuffling off to Buffalo” were on their honeymoon… seriously, if you’re spending your honeymoon in Buffalo, you are painfully lacking in imagination. Or perhaps they weren’t referring to Buffalo, New York, in that show. Maybe it was Buffalo in the south of France. Or that tropical island called Buffalo out in the middle of the Pacific…

I, however, am heading to Buffalo, New York, for my grandparents’ 65th anniversary party. My grandparents are not like the stereotypical retired people in this country who head down to Florida as soon as empty-nest syndrome sets in. No, they have tenaciously remained for years in the same log cabin they built with their own hands when my mom was a girl. My 91-year-old grandfather still plows his own driveway when the snow piles up every year, and during the summer, he and my grandmother grow vegetables in their garden. And if I’D built a log cabin with my own hands, I’d probably never want to leave it, either.

I think it’s funny that when you visit the Weather Channel’s website and search for the forecast for Buffalo, it pops up with an option to “get the beach forecast.” The beach forecast. For Buffalo. The one in New York. Not Buffalo in the south of France. I can’t remember ever visiting the “beach” in Buffalo when I was a kid. But maybe that’s because we had a pool in our backyard. And yes, we DID use the pool quite frequently during the summer. I’ve always thought it was interesting how Buffalo is notorious for its snowfall, but it’s the summers I remember most. If I’d stayed much longer than the nine years I spent there, I probably would’ve been old enough to start helping with the driveway shoveling. THEN I would’ve remembered the winters…

Family members aside, I can’t imagine a reason I’d want to live in Buffalo today. I’m kind of grateful that my parents moved away when we did, so I was able to explore a couple different parts of the country. It isn’t the cold weather in Buffalo that I find so unappealing – New York City gets plenty cold, and I love it… Chicago is downright freezing, but I think it’s a great city – no, I can’t really put my finger on it, but Buffalo never seemed to have that “spirit” you find within certain cities. It’s probably just my personal preferences – I imagine cites, like people, possess qualities we either click with, or we don’t. I don’t happen to click with Buffalo… Buffalo and I don’t have much chemistry. In fact, I’m seeing several other cities behind Buffalo’s back.

Don’t tell Buffalo…

Someplace other than Buffalo...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean, no "spirit"? Have you never been in Buffalo during Hockey season? Go Sabres! :)

Lisa said...

I guess I'm just too much of a baseball person... :)

Evydense said...

"What or who are these "sabres" things?" asks an Edmontonian, butting in to this conversation to say, "Go Oilers, GO!"

{sorry!}

Anonymous said...

The Sabres (pronounced Sayb-ers, and I have no idea why it is spelled like that) is the professional hockey team in Buffalo - the Buffalo Sabres - and they're winning (so far) the Stanley Cup (a big silver trophy that is given to the winning team for a year, then they have to give it up to the next winning team the following year). Right now they're going through what is like the World Series for baseball (I had to get "baseball" into this conversation for Lisa :))

Anonymous said...

are the Mavs playing tonight???

Lisa said...

Since I have no real loyalty toward any particular hockey team, I can honestly say: go Oilers! And Sabres! And Mavs (wait, that's basketball...)! And I'll throw in the Jersey Devils, too, since I used to live there! :)

One of the memories I have of Buffalo is the music of Aram Khatchaturian's "Sabre Dance" played on the nightly news. (And no, I didn't know this composer from memory -- I had to look it up. :)) And now I can never hear that music without thinking of the Buffalo Sabres and eyewitness news...

And I just happened to see on ESPN that Edmonton beat Anaheim, which means the Oilers will be playing in their first Stanley Cup finals since 1990. So congrats to all the Edmontonians out there! :)

Not that I don't like the Sabres, too, Aunt Carol... and the Devils... and the Mavs (although if I'm gonna root for a Texas basketball team, I'd probably go with the Spurs... :)) um, you know what? I'm just gonna stick with baseball. GO YANKEES!!

Evydense said...

It's tough to be politically correct and satisfy everyone, isn't it?