Monday, May 22, 2006

Like bricks and mortar...

The Canadian fellow-blogger who occasionally posts here got me thinking about words, and how we use them, and how we put them together. And how words can be used to communicate, certainly – but they can also be used for decorative purposes, in a manner of speaking. I once read somewhere that Charlotte Bronte – the author of one of my favorite books, Jane Eyre – would carefully choose every single word she wrote down. She would mull over a myriad of linguistic choices in her mind before settling on the pieces of prose she felt best expressed her thoughts. Because she knew, no doubt, that each word on its own was simply an entry in the dictionary – a random bit of driftwood in an endless ocean. But lash those words together in a meaningful sequence, and they float like rafts, carrying us to different times and different places… inspiring thought and dialogue and dreams… making us believe we can travel from one place to the next on the cadence of ideas. They can be powerful things, these little arrangements of letters…

Writing is like constructing a puzzle – each word must be comfortably nestled next to its neighbor… each phrase must compliment the one before. Only after every section has been locked into place will the entire picture be visible. And if one tiny piece is missing, the entire project seems to be ruined. Of course, there’s a fine line between “complete” and “overkill.” This was something I started to realize in school, when we were given assignments to write papers that were, for example, “at least 20 pages long,” and after about 17 pages, I’d run out of things to write. I had already made my point, I had already provided the proper amount of embellishment necessary for a research paper, and anything extra would simply be “filler” material. What’s more, I was certain whoever was grading the paper would be intelligent enough to recognize filler material, and would laugh at my insistence that I had a “really, really, really, really, really interesting time writing this very, very, very, very, extremely important paper.”

So I would take a chance and turn in my three-pages-too-short paper, and be quite surprised when it was returned to me not only with a good grade, but with comments about how “concise” and “to-the-point” my paper was. After a while, I started realizing those page number requirements were really more of a guideline – I was never given a lowered grade due to a shorter paper, and I suppose it’s because when you’re writing to make a point, it’s more important that you simply make your point. It’s more important that your message is received loud and clear than for a few more slips of paper to be added for embellishment purposes. As long as the entire puzzle is complete, what more can you say?

Creative writing, of course, is a different story (pun not intended…). Embellishment is half the fun. I took a fiction writing class at St. Edward’s University a few years ago, and one of the things we talked about was the difference between “showing” and “telling” in a story. Sure, you could simply TELL your audience that, “John was angry.” Or you could SHOW them by saying something like, “John threw open the door, flung the phone across the room, and slammed his hand down on the table.” You know John is angry, but the word “angry” doesn’t even appear in the sentence. And that’s part of what I find appealing about writing – the way that words can be used like clay, and sculpted into different forms until their collective meaning is apparent. These words can form pictures as multihued and vibrant as anything hanging in the Louvre or the Met. To me, talking just seems less colorful. Then again, I probably think about these things more often than a lot of people, seeing as the ABSENCE of talking and the PRESENCE of writing almost seem to be part of what makes up my nature. Or perhaps “almost” isn’t even relevant – they ARE part of what makes up my nature.

So I think I’ll go indulge in the vibrant layers of a novel. And hopefully, when I’m finished, I will find myself in a completely different place from where I started. Because that’s the adventure of holding onto a raft made of words…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa! I am not sure how appropriate it is to post a blog comment considering we have yet to meet, but I have decided to anyway. Your blogs are one of the highlights of my day. You have such a cool way of turning ordinary into interesting. I think you could probably write about a toe and I would find it fascinating! Love your work dawling. ;)

Lisa said...

Hi Kat! How cool to "meet" you (sorta)! Thanks for the compliments -- it's sweet of you to say all that. Maybe I WILL write about a toe sometime... it would be interesting to see how much I could write about it... :) Hope we get to meet in person soon!

Evydense said...

Hi. I love this post! I'm not sure if I'm the 'Canadian fellow-blogger' that you mentioned at the outset, but I'm Canadian, and I'm a fellow-blogger, I've left comments here before, and I'm fascinated with words too, so if the shoe fits, I suppose I should wear it!

I think for every word you add to a communication, you multiply the possible number of ways in which it can be interpreted (check out how many definitions are in the dictionary for a single word, then start combining those combinations as you combine the words). That's where puns and alliteration and metaphors find their root.

The only thing I might take issue with in your blog is towards the end when you say: "...the ABSENCE of talking and the PRESENCE of writing almost seem to be part of what make up my nature." You write so conversationally, you're writing is more absent than present. It's your conversation that lingers on.

I'll be looking forward to the treatise on toes! {smile!}

Lisa said...

Yes, sir -- you are the "Canadian fellow-blogger" of whom I speak. :)

It's so interesting that you mention my conversational writing -- my PERSONAL feeling has always been that my writing is a "legitimate" form of communication. However, as someone who doesn't always "say" much, I've often been made to feel quite the opposite. According to most people, I don't "talk" enough. Yet in reality, I seem to talk more than just about anyone I know. :)

Thanks for the comments!