Thursday, May 25, 2006

This can't possibly make sense...

Does anyone else find it strange that the post about toes has generated more comments than any of my other posts? Good call on that one, Kat – if you have any other blog ideas, let me know. :)

So last night on Lost… um, to be honest, I have no idea what happened. Oh, don’t get me wrong – I WATCHED the show. I wouldn’t have missed it. I’m just really not sure what, exactly, happened. Desmond came back in his sailboat – I saw that one coming. The guy disappeared from the island at the beginning of the season and no one ever bothered to say, “I wonder where that guy from the hatch ran off to?” Since he mentioned that he was in a sailboat race when he got stuck on Anti-Fantasy Island, I had to assume that sailboat belonged to him. What I loved is that he had it all stocked up with Dharma-logo liquor. Is there anything these Dharma people DON’T put their logo on? We saw it on the shark and the polar bear, it’s on the door of all the crazy hatches, it’s all over the boxes of food, and apparently they stamp it onto bottles of rum and tequila, as well.

I think my favorite part of the show was when Sun, Jin and Sayid were in the sailboat, heading for the Other’s outpost (which, of course, turned out to be nothing more than a staged façade…) and they discovered the giant foot statue. And amazingly, I can tie this in to yesterday’s toe discussion – because the giant foot statue only had four toes. Four toes. Like a Simpsons character. Sayid found this “disquieting” (I love that he used the word “disquieting.” Who uses the word “disquieting” on TV shows, huh?), as well as the fact that the statue had been cut off at the ankle, apparently suggesting it used to be one big GIANT statue of a four-toed (and, I’m assuming, four-fingered) person. Or maybe a monkey. Or, like, a monkey-man hybrid. I mean, really – who knows WHAT they’re experimenting with on that island…

Oh, and of course the show continued with its “don’t I know you from somewhere?” theme between all of the characters. Last night we discovered that Desmond’s boat used to belong to Libby, who was in the insane asylum with Hurley. Hurley, of course, had that imaginary friend named Dave, and Libby, interestingly enough, told Desmond that her late husband’s name was David. So was she really married? Or did Hurley’s “friend” have some sort of imaginary life of his own? We also discovered that Kelvin, the man who originally dragged Desmond to the hatch and taught him all about the crazy button, was the same guy who made Sayid torture prisoners in Iraq. I think this guy may have also had some connection to Kate’s dad, if I remember correctly.

The most interesting part of the night happened in the last two minutes – for the first time since the show began, we caught a glimpse of the post-plane-crash outside world. Up until that moment, the only time we saw the outside world was in flashbacks. Does this mean that next season we’ll start seeing more about what’s happening in the “present” outside world? And by the way, was it just me, or did it look like the kid who plays Walt grew about a foot taller since he was supposedly kidnapped by the Others? (Which, in show-timeline, would only be a few weeks… those Others have obviously been making him eat his vegetables…)

So, all in all, it was a very confusing season finale. We still don’t know if Eko and Locke are okay. And what about Desmond? They were all still in the hatch, right? So are we to assume all that magnetic energy destroyed everything in its path? Has the hatch ceased to exist? Does this mean no more showers for anyone?? If you don’t watch Lost, you might as well start, because there’s no way you could be any more confused than those of us who’ve already been sucked into this show…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! It IS strange that everyone had something to say about toes. I think it's because they are all too often overlooked. They don't get enough credit those toes of ours. I will let you know if I come up with anymore strange topics. ;) Can't say to much about Lost..I have never checked that one out. :(

Lisa said...

Yeah, Lost is one of those shows that sucks you in like a black hole... once you're watching, you can never escape. Makes for lots of interesting conversation, though. :)

I wonder if they have toenail clippers on that island? Hmmmm...