Friday, May 05, 2006

Go Yankees!!

This is the time of year when a lovely, sunny, not-a-cloud-in-the-sky spring day comes to a close with a sudden crash of thunder, relentless driving rain and a pelting of hail. It’s as if God is saying, “did you like that nice spring day I gave you? Well, you could THANK ME once in a while! Take that! And that! And maybe a little bit of this, too! Betcha won’t forget to thank me tomorrow, will ya?” We had one of those surprise spring storms last night, which was mostly composed of hard rain and some bearable thunder and lightning. But at one point, the wind started to gust in a way that made me wonder if perhaps my roof was about to be blown off by a tornado. My roof, fortunately, was fine – but my patio furniture wasn’t as lucky. The wind decided that the shading umbrella (which was closed, by the way) was sufficient to use as a sail, and it was ripped from the glass-topped table. The table was blown over on top of the umbrella, which I guess turned out to be a good thing, since the glass never hit the concrete and is still intact. I’m not sure about the umbrella, though… it may be beyond repair…

The only reason I mention this is that today we’re heading up to Dallas to see a Yankees/Rangers game. I haven’t been to a Yankee game in, let’s see, almost five years. And I’ll be very disappointed if my first chance to watch Jeter and Giambi and Arod and Matsui in person in five years is interrupted by one of those freak end-of-the-day spring storms that seem to be popping up all over the state lately. I wonder if there might be a way that the stadium in Arlington is spared the thunder and lightning and hail and table-toppling winds. At least for tonight.

Well, storm or no storm – I’m going to a Yankee game, and hopefully I’ll get to see my team win in person. Eric – we need some extra voodoo tonight! Don’t forget! As for me, I going to go thank God for this lovely, sunny, not-a-cloud-in-the-sky spring day.

And did I mention – I’m going to a Yankee game! :)

No comments: