Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Austin autumn...

Yes, it is autumn in Texas, and you can see from these pictures just how colorful and vibrant our foliage has become:



The transformation is remarkable. Why, not three weeks ago, our trees were merely full of mundane green leaves, every tree exactly the same as every other tree. And now – well, see for yourself!



I just love autumn in Texas!



Okay, okay. I’m being sarcastic. In case that wasn’t painfully obvious. I just happened to be outside this afternoon (after spending some time cleaning the shower in the bathroom with an extremely potent bleach mixture – by the time I was finished, I was feeling rather light-headed and sick. I either wanted to faint or throw up. I couldn’t decide. So I thought maybe some fresh air would be in order…), and as I gazed in my bleach-hazed stupor at the green, flowery, backyard landscaping, I realized, “this is October… this is OCTOBER.” It doesn’t seem to right to be weeks away from Halloween without so much as a hint of outdoor color. Of course, part of the problem is the proliferation of live oak trees around here – they don’t change colors. And they don’t lose their leaves until March or so, at which time the leaves are replaced with this weird mossy stuff (which ALSO eventually falls off and clogs up the pool skimmers…).

Oh well… I should look on the bright side – if I lived someplace cooler, I may not have been able to comfortably sit out on the porch during my attempt to re-oxygenate my blood. (I hope it worked…)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

autumn...blah blah blah...whatever.

I think what is most important is that the Lost season premier was on last night. You DID catch it right, Lisa.

Evydense said...

"if you lived somewhere cooler...". I suspect you think "up here" qualifies for that, but just so you know, it was up to 19 degrees here yesterday (that's Celcius!!)

Lisa said...

Dave -- of COURSE I watched the Lost season premiere. My recap is posted above. :)

Evydense -- let's see, 19 degrees... I think that'd be somewhere around 65 degrees Fahrenheit? That actually sounds just about PERFECT for this time of year. I'm jealous. :)