Thursday, October 26, 2006

I lost my jeans...

So who watched Lost last night? All I can say is, it’s a good thing that bunny wasn’t really dead. Killing bunnies is just MEAN. Even tough ex-con Sawyer was like, “did you just kill that bunny???” Dead bunnies do not make good shows. Good thing it was alive. Unless that crazy Ben guy really DID just paint another bunny with a number 8. But I don’t know – I’m starting to think the Others are less about killing stuff, and more about simply messing with people’s minds. They’d rather just make you THINK they killed something than actually kill it.

But I did sort of have a problem with the whole “pacemaker” storyline. Or maybe I just had a problem with it because I figured it out so quickly. I knew it had to be another one of the Others’ mind games. Because if they HAD implanted Sawyer with a pacemaker, he would’ve been able to feel it under his skin. I mean, the way they made it look, Sawyer was supposed to believe that they’d actually implanted something IN his heart… or at least near it. But that’s not the way pacemakers work – only the leads are threaded into the heart… the rest of it is just placed somewhere under the skin. Probably closer to the collarbone. To actually get something the size of a pacemaker IN the heart, you’d need to crack someone’s chest open. You can’t simply slip something underneath a ribcage with minor surgery. And the incision they showed on Sawyer’s chest was directly over his heart. That’s just completely unrealistic for pacemaker surgery…

Of course, I’m probably focusing WAY too much on this… perhaps they assumed that Sawyer – while well-versed in such classics as Of Mice and Men – wouldn’t have done a whole lot of reading up on pacemakers when he was in prison. Well, regardless, I thought the ploy was a bit too obvious. Haven’t Sawyer and Kate and Jack all figured out that everything is a big crazy psychological test at this point? Or maybe ASSUMING everything is a psychological test is part of the psychological test. Maybe as soon as they assume everything is a mind game, that’ll be when the REAL game starts. Perhaps it’s all REVERSE psychology… or reverse reverse psychology. Or anti-reverse psychology with a side of astrology for good measure. My head hurts…

And on another subject completely – I was looking through my closet yesterday, thinking that I ought to clean it out and get rid of some of the clothes I don’t wear anymore. And I was realizing how many pairs of jeans I have in there – most of which I either hardly ever wear, or never wear at all. I really only have three pairs that I wear on a regular basis. So I was looking through the jeans and wondering if I should toss some of them out. But it’s funny how you can find a way to justify having five thousand pairs of jeans…

I have the jeans that are too big for me, but I keep them around to remind me that I never want to actually FIT into them again… and I have the jeans that are a bit too small for me, but I keep them around because I can zip them up, so I know I WILL fit into them as soon as I drop a couple pounds… there’s a pair of jeans that I only wear in the summer, or when the weather gets warm, because they’re very light and casual and look good with sandals… and there’s a pair of nice jeans I only wear when I’m going out, and I want to be casual but not TOO casual… there’s the pair that I keep around for sentimental reasons (“oh no, I can’t throw THOSE out – those are the jeans I was wearing on that day when I was making chocolate chip cookies and finally got the recipe JUST right… that was a great day…”)… I even have a pair with a big rip down the seam, and I keep them because – well, you know what? I don’t know WHY I keep those… I should throw them away.

I just thought it was interesting how I could find a reason to keep all those pairs of jeans in my closet. The great thing about jeans is that they never, ever go out of style – so you really CAN hold on to the same pair for years and years and know that you’ll wear them some time. Eventually. I can’t say the same for some of the OTHER clothes in my closet. Scary stuff…

And now I shall post this quickly, as my internet has been down for the better part of the day and it seems to be working again. But who knows how long that’ll last… must… post… now…

No comments: