Tuesday, October 31, 2006

No carrot cake for me...

Happy Halloween, everyone! I just love Halloween. I love it so much that I go to great lengths to make sure I’m out of my house for several hours every Halloween night. There’s no better way to celebrate the holiday than to deny little kids candy. No candy for you!! Hahaha. Okay, I really don’t like Halloween at all… Actually, that’s not entirely true – I do like Halloween, because it’s kind of like the gateway to the winter holiday season. Once Halloween is over, you can really start concentrating on shopping for Christmas gifts (which you intend to finish completely by Thanksgiving… and yet, inevitably, you still manage to find yourself in the middle of a crowded mall on Christmas Eve, buffeted along the corridors by a wild-eyed holiday mob, searching for ONE LAST GIFT that ducked under the “finish shopping by Thanksgiving” radar…).

And speaking of Halloween and sweets – last night after dinner, Rick suggested we go out and get something for dessert. And since I’d been having a craving for cake all week, I decided I might as well go out and buy a single piece, before I broke down and made an entire cake and ate the whole thing myself. So we decided to go across the street to the ever-changing coffeehouse/live music venue/bar/pizza joint, which has always had the BEST carrot cake. (And I absolutely abhor carrots – so if you can hide them in cake and actually make them taste GOOD, that’s the only way I’ll ever eat them…) But when we walked in, we noticed that the “coffeehouse” and “live music venue” seemed to have been completely usurped by the “bar” and “pizza joint.” The cappuccino machine was gone, the live music stage was gone, and, worst of all, the pastries were gone. Not a slice of carrot cake to be seen. I quickly found a menu on the counter, and noticed that the name of the place had been changed from “The Coffee Plant” to “Brooklyn Heights Pizzeria.” Brooklyn Heights??? Look, people, I’ve BEEN to Brooklyn Heights… my brother used to LIVE in Brooklyn Heights… THIS is NOT Brooklyn Heights… This is barely even Austin. Don’t tempt me with promises of New York City boroughs – your pizza and tiramisu will never convince me that Manhattan is just across a bridge outside. What’s next? Bronx Liquors? Brighton Beach Bakery? Kew Gardens Dry Cleaners? I’m not buying it – I know where I am, and it’s definitely not New York…

And the only desserts listed on the new menu were cheesecake, tiramisu, and baklava. None of which have ever been on my list of favorites. I am quite disappointed. I may have to go back to the “Brooklyn Heights” Pizzeria and ask them where they used to get their carrot cake. Needless to say, carrot cake was out of the question last night. We ended up going down the street to a new coffeehouse that opened several months ago and we’d never tried (yes, when one coffeehouse closes down, another opens up right down the street). They didn’t have much in the way of pastry selection, but they did have really good chocolate chip cookies and something called a “seven layer bar,” which, as far as I could tell, was a dessert made up of seven different layers of sweet things that are equally bad for you. And the coffee wasn’t bad, either. So all in all, not a total loss of a night.

After returning home from the search for dessert, I was watching my new second-favorite show, Heroes (which is very, very close to moving in on Lost…) and Tivo chopped off the last few seconds of the episode. I hate it when that happens. So now I don’t know how the show ended, exactly. All I know is that Girl Who Looks Like Peter Pan came to the door of Heroin Addict Who Paints the Future. And Girl Who Looks Like Peter Pan is definitely evil – I’ve been suspicious of that girl all along. Even before she used her boyish charms in an attempt to seduce Guy Who Has No Powers But Feels Compelled to Finish His Father’s Work. Never trust a girl with a pixie haircut and shifty eyes…

Also in last night’s episode, we found out that Alter Ego Mirror Girl’s alter ego framed her husband (who, it turns out, is Man Who Can Pass Through Solid Objects). I’m trying to figure out if Alter Ego Mirror Girl is actually a “hero,” or if she’ll eventually end up being a villain. I mean, her “normal” self is a good person – it’s the crazy mirror girl who wreaks havoc upon those around her. By the way, if you don’t watch the show, I’m sure absolutely nothing in the last two paragraphs makes any sort of sense…

I was going to post a few more Montana pictures, but it looks like Blogger is being temperamental with the pictures again. So check back later today, and hopefully I'll have some pictures up -- it snowed up there a little bit yesterday, so dad sent some great pictures of the mountains and the lake next to the cabin. It looked very cold (which, right now, actually sounds really nice... it's 85 here today. This is obviously one of those days when it's NOT autumn... maybe tomorrow... I can hope...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But the pizza at Brooklyn Heights is gooooood. I agree that their name is bad, though. I mean, the pizza, while delicious, is hardly New York style. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

After I left New York I didn't think I'd be able to find a pizza anywhere close to what I was used to. Now though it isn't exactly the same, it is the closest thing I'v ever had in the south.