Friday, October 06, 2006

Mooned...

I found out an interesting fact tonight -- the full moon tonight is at the point in its orbit where it's closest to earth. So therefore, the moon tonight will appear 12 percent bigger than other full moons this year. I thought that was pretty cool. So I took some pictures, which probably won't do justice to that "12 percent" thing, but just take my word for it -- these pictures are 12 percent cooler than any other pictures of the moon I'll be taking this year:



This is what happens when you take a picture of the moon and move the camera...

3 comments:

Evydense said...

LOL!!! This reminds me so much of a story about my brother and his wife. He was working in Jamaica for a year, and one moonlit night they went for a romantic drive, parked by one of the beaches, and were taking it all in. Apparently, it was one of "those" moments. They were talking about how gorgeous the moon was, and Linda told Pete to take a picture, presumably as a keepsake of the occasion. He (correctly!) said it would show up as way too small, so in her infinite wisdom she said "Well, get out and get closer!"

She has developed a track record of such duh-isms. We call them Poohisms, because Pooh was his term of "endearment" for her when they were still young and googily-eyed. Yeah...she's blonde! (Can I say that?!!)

Anonymous said...

Evydense - That's a funny story! Thanks for a laugh to start my day.

Lisa said...

Yes, I TRIED to get as close as I could to that moon... maybe I should've stood on the roof... ;)

Your story reminds of ME of a story (which has nothing to do with the moon, but it is a "duh-ism" :)). We were on a cruise a few years ago, and I was sharing a cabin with a friend of my brother's -- she and I were talking one day about how we'd both been drinking a lot of water and felt like we'd had really dry skin for the entire cruise. And we were wondering why this was, so she said, "well, maybe it's the altitude or something." Again, we were on a cruise ship. At sea level. (And yes, she was blond, too... :))