Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Today's lesson: Ramadan

I just learned that today is the One Day National Fast, when Muslims invite non-Muslims to fast for a day during the month of Ramadan. But I’m drinking coffee right now, so I’ve already screwed that up. What I find really interesting about fasting during Ramadan is that it includes EVERYTHING – even water. I don’t think it would be TOO difficult to forgo food from sunup to sundown, but I’m not sure about water. Maybe if I woke up at 3 in the morning and drank a few cups… except then I’d be up again at 4 to use the bathroom… and then I’d probably have some more water, since I’d know I couldn’t have any during the day… and then I’d be up again at 5… basically, if I was fasting all day, I wouldn’t sleep very well at night. I have to give credit to the devout Muslims who DO observe fasting throughout Ramadan – can’t imagine it would be very easy to do for an entire month. I’m actually getting thirsty just writing about this…

In addition to the fasting, the web site I was reading touched on the idea of positive thought, as well. As it said: “Another point that must be mentioned is that as well as refraining from food and drink during fasting, we try our best to avoid negative thoughts, speech, action, etc. Although fasting is a cleansing experience physically, it's just as much beneficial spiritually as well. With that, we recommend you all try to remain on your best behavior and try to help others as much as you can.” Okay, THAT I can do. I’m ALWAYS on my best behavior. No, really. I am. Seriously. I mean it. And I’m thinking positive thoughts about all of you right now. (With the possible exception of Eric.) And if any of you need help with anything, don’t hesitate to ask. (Except Eric. Eric should hesitate.)

In my internet research into this subject this morning, I also learned that tomorrow night (or possibly Friday night – seems to be some inconsistency on that… but maybe it depends on where you are in the world?) is something called Laylat al-Qadr. This can be translated as Night of Decree, or Night of Measures, or Night of Power, or Night of Predestination, or Night of Destiny, or the Grand Night, or Night of Almightiness, or Night of Majesty, or Night of Many Many Translations That No One Can Agree On. (I may have added that last one myself.) Regardless, it’s definitely a night. That much we know. :)

The significance of Laylat al-Qadr is that it is believed to be the first day that God began to reveal the Qur’an to Mohammad through the angel Gabriel. (I also just learned that “Qur’an” can be translated as “recitation.” I didn’t know that… but it makes sense.) One of the beliefs about this particular night is that worship offered on this night is worth a thousand months of worship. Laylat al-Qadr is considered the holiest day of Ramadan:

In the name of God, the Beneficent the Merciful
Indeed We sent it [the Holy Quran] down on the Night of Power.
What will convey to you what the Night of Power is like!
Better is the Night of Power than a thousand months
in that Night the angels and the Spirit descend
by the permission of their Lord for every affair.
Peace it is, till the break of dawn.
[Qur’an, Chapter 97]

I don’t know if that's the best translation, but it's the best one I could find. And I also don't know if anyone else even thinks this stuff is interesting... but I always find it beneficial to learn about religions other than my own. In fact, I don’t think we can truly understand our OWN beliefs until we educate ourselves about what OTHERS believe. Otherwise, we’re just blindly following along with what someone told us to think, without understanding the other points of view out there. You don’t have to agree with other points of view – but if you don’t even KNOW about them, then how can you truly understand or appreciate or judge the value of your own beliefs?

And speaking of my own beliefs, here are a couple verses from the Bible to end my little blurb about religion:

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs. (Proverbs 10:12)

There is deceit in the hearts of those who plot evil, but joy for those who promote peace. (Proverbs 12:20)

Good stuff to remember, right? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff - I hope that one day people can be as open-minded as you are, and realize that the majority of those who follow Islam aren't bug-eyed, curse chanting, fatwa issuing, crazy fanatics hellbent on destroying the world and all other religions, but rather, like you and I, believe in a higher power and live their lives according to those standards, as well as be part of a peaceful, loving, and accepting society, tolerant of all others. Unlike the retarded few of course, who exist in all faiths, not just Islam.

ps. fastings not so hard, you get used to it really quickly. Most muslims get up before sunrise, have a meal, and go back to sleep. Then, sunset can't come fast enough. And a cloudy day does not count.

Lisa said...

That's funny, because I was also gonna say that if I was fasting all day and only eating at night, it might be easier to just sleep. (And since I'd be running to the bathroom all night because of all the water, well, you know, I'd be really tired... :))

Thank you for the kind comments... I appreciate them. :)