Thursday, October 19, 2006

Yikes... now THAT looks cold...

It’s 58 degrees! 58 degrees… 58 degrees… it’s cold! Freezing, freezing, cold. I’m wearing a long-sleeved shirt and I actually NEED it. I even wore a denim jacket when I went out to get coffee this morning. I think I was a little hasty back on Saturday, when I said I thought autumn was really here. Because as soon as I said it, the temperature promptly ascended back up to 90 degrees. And it got really humid, too. All of a sudden I went from the optimistic assumption that we’d be welcoming autumn back to Texas, to the pessimistic assumption that I’d be spending the entire season either feeling like I was walking through a sauna or searching for an air conditioned space to take respite. And then last night, after a deluge of rain that practically filled the pool to the brim (and caused me slight panic when the satellite began cutting out and back in again – it was Lost night!), the air cooled down about 30 degrees, and voilà! I’m wearing a long-sleeved shirt!

But just so I don’t forget to appreciate our mild weather now and then, here are a few pictures from that storm that hit Buffalo last week. This is Aunt Carol’s yard (at least I THINK her yard is in there somewhere…).



And a few from after the snow melted… this is what happens when you get an early snow, and the snow is really wet and heavy – broken branches everywhere:



Anyway, glad you have power again, at least, Aunt Carol! Hope everyone up there can get cleaned up and back to normal soon. And if you get tired of the Buffalo winter, come on down to Austin. It probably won't be a chilly 58 degrees for TOO long... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for some of that global warming to come our way! :) It's really quite devastating to see all the tree damage in the area. We have a hole in everything we own - the car, the truck, the boat, the roof of the house. But it's all just "stuff", it can all be fixed. Schools are still closed, roads are still closed, power is still out for thousands of people. Maybe I will fly down to Austin - if you can guarantee I won't have to sleep in the Dallas Airport again!

Lisa said...

Wow, when the schools in Buffalo are closed for that long, you know it was a BIG storm... I can remember going to school when I was a kid with about 14 feet of snow on the ground. (Okay, it probably wasn't REALLY 14 feet... it just seemed like it because I was a lot shorter back then. :))

I can promise you won't have to sleep in the Dallas airport if you fly to Newark first (they have direct flights from Newark to Austin). So the worst that would happen is you'd have to sleep in the Newark airport. Maybe it's more comfy than the Dallas airport... :)