Friday, October 13, 2006

I'm it!

I was “tagged” by Evydense with this little questionnaire – I haven’t played tag in ages and ages! :) Actually, have I EVER played tag? (That could be another question for the list – “When was the last time you played tag?” I’m sure it’s been even longer than the last time Austin saw snow…) So without further ado:

Would you bungee jump?

Um, not on purpose. I don’t even like those “pirate ship” rides at amusement parks. And while I do like roller coasters, I hate that first drop right before the ride gets started. Basically, I don’t like the feeling of freefalling, so bungee jumping would probably be out.

If you could do anything in the world for a living what would it be?

I think it would be great to be a travel writer… or maybe some kind of National Geographic photojournalist. Any job that requires me to travel places and learn stuff. (I can be so eloquent when I want to be.)

Your favorite fictional animal?

Okay, is this like an animal from a work of fiction, or an animal that I just make up off the top of my head? Like the majestic, mythical pleagleoose – a combination of a platypus, eagle, and mongoose. It can not only fly AND swim, but it’s a crazy mean cobra fighter. Maybe that’s not what this question meant? Um, okay… I guess my favorite fictional animal is, um… oh, I love the king lemur from Madagascar. I love that lemur… “everyone be quiet, including me… shhhhh… who’s making that noise? Oh, it’s me again…” That movie cracks me up.

One person who never fails to make you laugh?

I’ll have to say our friend Bill Grapes, who has an infectious laugh and has, on occasion, managed to have me laughing non-stop through an entire dinner. And if other people are laughing, it just makes Bill laugh more, which makes everyone else laugh, etc, etc. In fact, there have been times when I’m in a really bad mood, and Rick tries to make me smile unsuccessfully, and he’ll finally just say, “Bill.” Usually just the mention of his name gets me smiling. And if that doesn’t work, Rick will resort to saying something like, “think of Bill in a frilly pink tutu.” If I’m not smiling by then, it’s a lost cause.

When you were 12 years old what did you want to be when you grew up?

Probably a veterinarian. I always loved animals.

What is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?

If Echo is awake, I let her out – but now that she’s deaf, she sleeps much more soundly and doesn’t always get up when I do. In that case, I just get dressed and put my contacts in – I never really feel awake until I can see clearly.

Have you ever gone to therapy?

No… probably should have about a million times, though…

If you could have one super power what would it be?

Hmmm… maybe invisibility. I’d love to just wander around places without being seen. When I know people can see me, I always worry I’m being stared at. And then everyone will be watching when I do the stupid things I’m certain I’ll inevitably do. (Have I mentioned I probably should’ve gone to therapy a million times?)

Your favorite cartoon character?

I like Lisa Simpson… not only because her name is Lisa, but because she’s intelligent and likes music and likes to read and tends to be a bit of a loner… in other words, she reminds me of me (and yes, I DID just call myself “intelligent” – although I’m sure there’s plenty of evidence to dispute that…).

Do you go to church?

I used to go to church religiously (ha ha! Religiously! Get it? Funny? No? Okay…) but now I’m more of a sporadic church-goer. I think I used to have some sort of expectation that “church people” were somehow nicer or more compassionate or friendlier than the general population – but eventually I realized that churches have the same cliques and groups as everywhere else, and if you’re not already a part of one, there’s not much of a chance you’ll work your way into one. After meeting all the people I’ve met, and forming the friendships I have, I’ve realized that people who go to church are just that – simply people who go to church. The way you live your life – EVERY day, not just Sunday – is much more indicative of the kind of person you truly are.

What is your best childhood memory?

I had to skip this and come back to it, but when I got to the question below about singing, I started thinking about how much fun it was to be in the kids’ singing group Eric and I were in when we were young. Those are definitely some of my favorite memories. We once spent an entire day in a TV studio recording a Christmas special that aired on one of the local channels… it was really tiring and really fun at the same time. And at the end, I felt like I’d been a part of something cool and exciting and unique – none of my friends had ever been on TV. Even one of the local channels…

Do you think marriage is an outdated ritual?

I don’t think it’s outdated… it’s not really something that comes with a timestamp. But I do think it’s greatly misunderstood by most people before they actually jump into it. (Then again, it’s probably one of those things you CAN’T understand until you’re in the middle of it…)

Do you own a gun?

Nope. If I ever need one, I’ll just ask Eric if I can borrow his…

Have you ever hit someone of the opposite sex?

Sure. I hit Rick all the time. He annoys me. But he can’t hit me, of course. Because I’m a girl. Yeah, it’s a double standard. But it works for me.

Have you ever sung in front of a large number of people?

Just me by myself? No, I don’t think so… but in choruses and small groups, yes, lots of times. In fact, that reminds me of some great childhood memories that I can use for one of those questions above…

What is the first thing you notice about the opposite sex?

Eyes, a willingness to smile (I don’t like it when people never smile)… and for some reason I’ve always liked a guy with nice hands.

What is your biggest mistake?

I’d love to be one of those people who doesn’t consider anything a mistake, because all our actions (or inactions) in life eventually shape us into the people we become. And that IS true – but it’s still hard to not have regrets. But since I don’t feel like advertising my mistakes right now, I’ll keep my regrets to myself…

Say something totally random about yourself.

My jeans feel like they’re about to fall off. I think I’ve lost weight. I need new jeans.

Has anyone ever said that you looked like a celebrity?

A professor at St. Edward’s once said I looked like Kelly Rutherford, who, at the time, was playing a 19th century hooker on the show “The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.” She’s really not much of a “celebrity,” I guess, seeing as I’ve never seen her in anything else… and I don’t think I look much like her, anyway. Although I should point out that I used to dress like a 19th century hooker when I went to class, so maybe that had something to do with it…

What is the most romantic thing someone of the opposite sex has done for you?

I considered my signed Yankee baseballs a pretty romantic gift – not in the “mushy” romantic kinda way, but rather because it was one of the first times Rick bought me a present without me giving him a list of things I like. And it turned out to be a great, thoughtful gift. Thoughtful gifts are always romantic.

Do you actually read these when other people fill them out?

Yes… I’m always on the lookout for people who are just as strange as I am…


Now, if I were to “tag” someone with this questionnaire, I would have to tag Nick – because he hasn’t updated his blog since the Eisenhower administration, and some of us are getting tired of checking his blog and seeing the same picture of Jordan over and over. I mean, sure, he’s a cute kid and all, but by now that picture is sorely outdated… Jordan must be in his mid-twenties by now, right? So go update your blog, Nick… :)

1 comment:

Evydense said...

Terrific answers! Thanks for playing along.