Sunday, September 24, 2006

Anniversary post!

It was a year ago today that I started this blog. Can you guys believe that? It’s been a whole year. It’s funny how time – when you’re wrapped up in it – can seem to move so slowly… but when you look back on it, it seems to have moved so quickly. It doesn’t really feel like it’s been a year…

And speaking of passing time and random writings – I was going through some old notebooks I found in a box in the closet of the extra bedroom, and I found a bunch of stuff I’d written during a study hall in high school. On days when I’d finished all my homework and hadn’t brought a book to read, I’d just write a few pages of whatever popped into my head. Which I guess is not unlike what I do now…

So here’s an excerpt of a page I wrote when I was really bored in study hall:

Composition of Study Hall: There is not much to write about. I mean, a study is a study is a study. It’s boring (unless you bring a good book to read), and it’s quiet. Work abounds in study hall. Actually, only sometimes. If one has a teacher who is a tyrant, thinking only of him or herself, finding strange, torturous pleasure in giving innocent kids homework to die by, then one will have work in study hall. I’ve had such teachers, none of whom I’ll name MRS. SHUBA and have often had such homework. But at the time, I didn’t have a study hall! Oh well, I’ve somehow managed to survive. How? I don’t know. But I’ve done it. Maybe I’ll write something in German now, okay? Verstehst du mich? Nein? Na und. Das ist deine Problem. Ich verstehe mich! Ha ha! Du bist doof, dumm, ein dummkopf! Ha ha wieder! Well? How did you like it? It’s just one of the many fantastic things that can be done during study hall!

And then I have a bunch of doodles in the margins, as well as the note: “piano lesson today! Didn’t practice, oh boy was that dumb!” (I seem to remember showing up for many of my piano lessons without much practice… even though I honestly DID enjoy playing the piano). The “Mrs. Shuba” I wrote about in my little blurb was a horrible English teacher I’d had in my freshman year of high school – she hated the fact that I was quiet, and used to ridicule my shyness in front of the whole class. She was old (or at least she SEEMED old to me when I was fourteen) and ornery, and set in her ways. She either should’ve retired ages and ages before I wound up in her class, or she should’ve found a way to behave like a reasonable, kind, compassionate human being. Since she seemed incapable of that, it is my firm belief that she should’ve been fired from her teaching position. Or perhaps tossed off the roof of the gymnasium. I would’ve been okay with either decision. (If only I’d had a blog back in high school – I’m sure I would’ve made good use of it. :))

Well, I don’t take piano lessons anymore, but I DO continue to jot down thoughts and ideas and opinions and anecdotes on a regular basis. And I’m continually amazed that there are people out there who are actually interested in what I have to say. So thanks to everyone who visits every day and reads my crazy posts and browses through my silly pictures. You guys are the best! And hopefully I can manage to come up with another year’s worth of random things to say…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog Posting Anniversary!!! Cheers to another year of blogs! :)

Lisa said...

Thanks Kat! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Wow...you could communicate in German quite well back then. I guess that's why you were the german honor society.

Perhaps you should post a blog in german and make us all translate it. ;)

Evydense said...

You don't bear grudges for very long, do you? Poor Mrs. Shupa is probably sitting all alone in a one-room apartment somewhere, shivering because she couldn't afford the heat bill, saran wrap stretched across the window openings hoping to create a bit of an airlock (oh no...scratch that...she taught English, not Physics!) Anyway, there she is watching the world go by her window, a tear finding its way to run down her face, always anticipating that the next peson who comes around the corner will be one of her former students who just came back to say "Thanks." She has convinced herself that she could die in peace if that were to happen.

So there's yet another way of popping off the snarling, ornery old wench....kill her with kindness! < smile >

...and a happy anniversary from me, too.

Lisa said...

Haha! That actually made me smile. :) Which is probably really mean of me... but I don't REALLY wish anything bad for Mrs. Shuba (if she's still alive... she WAS pretty old) -- I just think some people were NEVER meant to be teachers, and she was definitely one of them. :)