Thursday, September 28, 2006

To Tivo or not to Tivo...

How weird – last night, I was attempting to publish that last post about the smoke detectors, but I couldn’t seem to get it to work. I kept getting a “0%” published message. I even checked the blog to see if it had shown up anyway (since Blogger can be a bit temperamental at times), but my post never appeared. And then I check this morning, and lo and behold – there’s my post. See? Temperamental…

Anyway… I know everyone is waiting with bated breath to know the final outcome of my fantasy baseball league. This weekend will be the final game of the regular season, and, therefore, the final points will be tallied. I got very lucky yesterday when the guy in third place pitched four games and only wound up with 46 total points. If he’d had four good games, he easily could’ve vaulted ahead of me in the standings. Of course, my pitching didn’t fare very well yesterday, either – I pitched one of my “ace” pitchers, Jered Weaver, and got a whopping 8 points. Yippee yahoo. Not only that, but my LAST relief game was wasted when Joe Torre decided to pitch Rivera in the 7th inning last night. When the Yankees were winning 15-4. That’s not a save. That’s not even CLOSE to a save. That’s not even a cold remedy. They could’ve let Skippy the Ball Boy pitch the rest of the game, for goodness’ sake. Oh well… that’s the way the proverbial baseball bounces, I suppose.

And in other news (I use the word “news” loosely) – has anyone started watching any of the new fall TV shows? I think Rick and I have found a show to replace “Prison Break,” which we sort of gave up on last season. I know all the prisoners finally managed to break out on the season finale (which kinda makes me wonder why it’s still called “Prison Break”), but I think I started to lose interest toward the end of the season. Not unlike “24,” which will probably also be off the Tivo this year. Sorry, Greg. (Well, about as sorry as you are for wanting Ed to win the baseball league. :)) So in their place, I think we’re going to start Tivoing “Heroes.” I watched the pilot the other night, and it definitely intrigued me. As the name implies, the show is about a bunch of ordinary people who start to discover they possess superpowers. Could be interesting…

And it IS interesting that there seems to be quite a “superhero” trend lately. There’ve been an awful lot of movies and TV shows that reflect this pop culture leaning. I wonder if that’s because the media reports so many horrible things that are going on in the world at any given time, and we wish for some sort of larger-than-life, tangible rescuer to come to our aid. Something significant and news-worthy, yet POSITIVE – instead of the usual doom and gloom we’ve grown accustomed to. It would be nice… but in the meantime, we have the distraction of TV and movies to feed our wishful thinking.

And I’m hoping that a few of my baseball players will act like heroes this weekend... :)

4 comments:

Evydense said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you in the pool, but what I liked most about this post was the problems you said you were having with Blogger.

Darn it all, it's frustrating! This morning, I wrote my entry (even got SIX pictures uploaded before it wouldn't let me upload anymore). Then I got a message saying things were wacky and I should try to save it now (and of course, I had JUST finished writing it!). I managed to get a 'draft' version saved, and then about 15 minutes later I looked at it and it was what it looked like when I was about half way through. It wasn't all there! I'm getting ready to throw something at this point (settled on a tantrum), went for a walk and came back calm, cool and collected. Loaded the 'draft' version, thinking I'd start over from there...AND IT WAS THE FINAL COMPLETED VERSION< COMPLETE WITH PICTURES WHICH HAD DISAPPEARED FROM THE DRAFT VERSION!! (I'm not shouting at you....I'm doing it at Bloogger vicariously through you.

So, putting away my paranoia that these things only happen to me, I started to do my "rounds" of my regular blogs. The first one I went to, I COULDN'T LEAVE A COMMENT!!. I got that damn page that says we can't find it, try again. Undaunted, I moved on. And guess what, unless you don't get this, all the OTHER ones worked. (I even shut down the computer and re-booted).

Which begs the question...are there reliable alternatives to Blogger?

Whew! That gets a load off. Thanks!

Lisa said...

Glad you were able to vent! :) I've never trusted the "save draft" feature in Blogger, so what I do is I write all of my posts as a Word document first, and then copy and paste into Blogger when I'm done. That way, I not only avoid a possible Blogger meltdown, but I have extra copies of all my posts (just in case Blogger ever does, in fact, self-destruct). I'd hate to accidentally lose all this stuff I've written. (Even if half of it is nothing but nonsense. :))

Anonymous said...

Wow...And here I thought when you started talking about the 'new' fall shows you might not take a jab at 24. That's ok. I understand. There are some people out there that hate the best...You can understand that being a Yankee fan, right? **Yankees = probable World Series winner **24 = Emmy Award Winner...

Lisa said...

I didn't say I hated 24 -- I don't hate it at all. I just don't feel like taking the time to watch it when it doesn't interest me much anymore. That's not to say it isn't a GOOD show, it's just not something I find particularly engaging. Just my opinion...

GO ASTROS!! No, wait... that doesn't sound right... GO YANKEES!!! Yeah. That's better. (All those Astros emails are starting to mess with my mind...) :)