Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Random thoughts...

Some random bits of nonsense, since I have nothing better to talk about:

I think autumn is just about ready to show up. We’ve had several cloudy, cooler days (“cooler” being in the 80’s) and a little bit of rain (“a little bit” being ten minutes yesterday and ten minutes last week). The pool temperature was down to 80 yesterday – which is well under comfortable swimming temperature. But this is Texas, so I can’t say with any certainty that we won’t have a couple more 100-degree days before it’s safe to put my swimsuit away for the year. I will allow it to dangle on the edge of the shower until the long-term forecast begins a steady downward slope into the 70’s…

I have begun to annoy my fellow fantasy baseball leaguers with what appears to be a possible run for victory. I remain in second place at the moment, but I’ve been very carefully biding my time and trying not to waste any pitching games. Although that doesn’t always work out – case in point, my “man-god” Sabathia only managed 8 points the other day. (What happened, Sabathia??) And, even worse, I failed to play Doug Davis yesterday, and he proceeded to pitch a complete game shutout. There’s 55 points I’ll never see… But despite these missteps, some of the guys in the league are starting to lament the fact that a girl might actually win...

My sister-in-law Jeanie flew from Montana to Buffalo this weekend to visit my grandmother. Jeanie likes to knit, and where better to pass time than on a long, boring flight? But wait – are knitting needles and scissors allowed on planes? Why, yes – yes they are. Jeanie had no trouble boarding her flight with knitting needles and scissors in tow. But she WAS stopped at security for carrying contraband – she attempted to bring roll-on deodorant on board the plane. The nerve of some people. So let me get this straight – if Jeanie’s intentions had been to stab someone with knitting needles and scissors and to strangle them with a skein of rainbow-colored yarn, she would’ve been all set. But no, obviously her intentions were MUCH more sinister – she was planning on deodorizing someone. I mean, I can picture the whole scenario in my mind – “you open the door to the flight deck right now, or I swear every passenger on this plane will have the freshest armpits this side of the Mississippi!”

Was anyone else really sad to hear the crazy crocodile guy died? And I mean “crazy” in the most endearing way possible… yeah, the guy was crazy, but sometimes crazy people make life more interesting, you know? Although I have to say, even though I was sad to hear about it, I wasn’t really surprised. I would’ve been much more surprised if he’d died of a heart attack or been hit by a bus or something. Then again, stingrays aren’t normally deadly creatures – in the long list of various species encountered by Mr. Irwin, stingrays were probably one of the most innocuous. Kinda makes me never want to swim in the ocean again... not that I was ever too keen on it in the first place...

Oh my gosh! Tom Cruise’s baby is on the cover of Vanity Fair! Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes have been procreating! Tom Cruise has a baby! On the cover! Of Vanity Fair! It’s a baby on the cover… um, you know what, I really don’t care…

Random picture of Echo (no, I don’t know why it’s crooked…):


Random picture of Allegro:



Random picture of me:



Who’s the cutest? Echo? Yeah, I thought so too…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was sad when I heard about Steve Irwin's death too. I think a lot of people felt the same. He was definitely a fellow that knew how to live life to the fullest.

I think Autumn is coming too!! It's my favorite time of the year. I vote that we will have no more 100 degree days. So put away that swimsuit girlfren'! Pull out the parka and snow boots. Hmmm...or since it's Texas..I suppose a windbreaker will do.

Lisa said...

I don't think I even OWN a parka and snow boots... (actually, I used to own snow boots, but I haven't needed them since I moved back here from New Jersey. :)) But I'd LOVE to need a windbreaker some time soon -- that would mean I could actually wear a sweater now and then, and drink lots of hot chocolate. I love having an excuse to drink lots of hot chocolate... :)

Evydense said...

I loved the story about the airplane! What an outstanding example of how stupid we can be sometimes when we forget why we do what we do.

P.S. While I'm here, thanks for your supportive comments the last little while. I'm all through the episode now, but it was good just knowing that other people were supportive. Thanks again.

Lisa said...

Hey Evydense! Good to see you again! I'm glad you're feeling better. :)

Yeah, isn't that plane story crazy? It's times like this that I'm glad I inherited some of my dad's patient personality -- I love traveling too much to stop flying, but it can be a bit of a hassle at times. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm more pissed that a girl is winning fantasy baseball than a guy who fights crocodiles actually croaking.