Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Somebody needs a nap...

Rick and I have a few TV shows we Tivo every week, either because we’re not around when they’re on, or we’re watching baseball, or we just think it’s more fun to watch a show when you can fast forward through the commercials. In addition to Lost – which I always watch as soon as it airs (I just have no patience when it comes to Lost) – we were also Tivoing “Prison Break” and “24” last season. But somewhere along the line (probably because I was taking up too much TV-viewing time with episodes of Lost), we fell behind with those two shows. In fact, even though Prison Break has started its new season, we have yet to finish watching the season finale from LAST season. We’ll have to get to that one of these days…

But we did manage to finally watch the season finale of 24 today. This was the first year I’d given 24 a chance – I mean, how often have we heard the “24 is the best show on television!” accolades? It couldn’t hurt to check it out. And at first, I found the show pretty interesting. The premise is certainly unique – every episode takes place in real time, so an hour-long show comprises one hour in the lives of the characters. And I DO have to say I quite appreciate the fact that FOX airs all 24 episodes of the show right in a row – no repeats (unlike repeat-happy Lost… darn you, Lost producers! Darn you and your interminable repeats!).

But as the 24 season wore on, I started to realize the “unique premise” was getting old. Not only was this one little 24-hour day seemingly stretching into infinity, but the odds that one single man (a.k.a. Jack Bauer) would be struck with such an unbelievable run of bad luck seemed infinitesimal. I also found myself obsessing over the fact that no one on the show ever eats anything, no one ever sleeps, and everyone is wearing the same outfit in every episode. I mean, okay, if we were really talking about one single day in the life of a counter-terrorist unit, I guess no one would be changing outfits… but still, the monotony gets boring. There’s also the fact that right around the time we hit, “the following takes place between 7 pm and 8 pm,” the entire show is shot in the dark. It’s even dark in the counter-terrorist building, no matter what time of day it’s supposed to be (don’t these people believe in windows?).

And then there’s the relationship between Jack and that blond chick (what’s her name? I just watched an entire season of this show and I don’t know her name… oh! Audrey – yeah, that was it…). Jack and Audrey. They obviously love each other, yet their love remains unrequited. Because every time they so much as get to a point where they can hold hands, one of them gets shot, or stabbed, or injected with truth serum, or kidnapped by the Chinese mafia. Those two are doomed. A relationship just can’t work if you’ve always got the-threat-of-terrorists-with-poison-gas-and-the-possibility-that-one-of-you-may-be-involved-with-them hanging over your head.

So I tried not to think about all these things as I sat down today for the final episode of last season on my Tivo. And yet I found myself getting strangely hopeful toward the end of the show, when one of the characters mentioned going out for breakfast – yes! I thought. At last! Someone is going to eat! But the “breakfast” thing never panned out, and my hope quickly died. No one went to sleep, either. In fact, with the exception of Jack Bauer, who WAS, in fact, lying on the floor at the end of the episode (but only because he was getting beat up, quite literally, on a slow boat to China), no one even looked ready for a nap.

So I’m trying to decide if I should give this show another chance next season. I don’t know. I might give it from “7 am to 8 am,” but if somebody doesn’t EAT something, I’m gonna have to start channel surfing…

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one is going to ever eat anything on this show. Food is not what this show is about. If you are that interested in watching food shows tune to "Emeril Live" and leave 24 to the people who truly appreciate it.

Lisa said...

Greg? Nick? Tim? Santa Claus? Who is that? Hmmm... I know some of you have an undying affinity for 24... I've been warned to never, ever, insult Jack Bauer and his manly prowess... And if it were a "regular" show where nothing is in real time, then the fact that no one eats or sleeps wouldn't matter to me. But in REAL time, people have to eat once in a while... or at LEAST have a cup of coffee... I mean, c'mon -- if you're gonna be up for 24 hours straight, you've GOTTA have some coffee... A little realism... that's all I'm asking for... ;)

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, realism. So that's what you look for in deciding whether or not you will watch a certain TV show? Ok, now I understand. Same for movies as well? Hmmmm. For some reason I just can't see Jack Bauer taking a break to run by his local coffee shop to visit with a "George Castanza" type of character and get caught up on what's going on with the New York Yankees and when his next flow-bee haircut will take place while sipping a cup of joe. Might I suggest one way to get past this is while you are focusing on the current scene of 24 real-time that you just 'assume' that the other people not in that particular scene might be having a pop-tart and throwing down some coffee.
But to say that you will give this show one more chance by watching one more hour of it and if you don't see them eating or having coffee during that hour? Wow. Ain't gonna happen.

Lisa said...

Wow... someone must not have eaten his Wheaties this morning. Does "tongue-in-cheek" not translate well to blog posts? I guess not... (Bryan? Is it Bryan??)

Evydense said...

Interesting conversation here (I notice that one party "disguises" themself behind the spineless name of anonymous. C'mon out and fight like a wo(man) I say!! Draw your pen, and get tongue-in-cheek along with Lisa!

Anyway, I must say it is absolutely the most over-rated show in the history of television. I started watching the first season because I, like you, liked the premise. But when it became apparent that this one single dude was going to take on all sorts of enemy and spy agencies, as well as moles and traitors within his own government...and do it all within the span of a single day, well...even if I stretch the realms of credibility to the outer extremes of fantasy, this goes even way beyond that (and doesn't do it very well, either). Heck, even James Bond couldn't pull off most of what good ol' Jack has done, and you just don't compare a flake like Jack to the suave Bond. No, I'd stick to your ball games if I were you. More fun, equally unpredictable, and much more believable characters (well, except the ones on cocaine).

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need to just stick to Sesame Street, Evydense.
I hear Ernie and Bert are making a huge come back next season. And from what I hear you won't believe what Oscar is going to do to Big Bird. Stay tuned...let us know how it turns out. :-)

Anonymous said...

Poor Jack Bauer. He should just give his Emmy back while he's at it.

Anonymous said...

Heavens! What is going on in here? I find it shocking that someone could be so die hard about 24? I am not a fan myself.

Personally, I am Big Bird's biggest fan, so don't start ragging on Sesame Street, Mr. Anonymous. That's taking it WAY too far. Yeah, that's right, you heard me.

Anonymous said...

p.s. And yes, maybe Jack should give his Emmy back.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I didn't mean to insult you, Lisa. I was just trying to show Mr. Mystery Pants how it works around here. :( Darn you Mr. Mystery Pants!

Lisa said...

It's okay, Kat! :) I believe Mr. Mystery Pants is one of the guys in my fantasy baseball league... I'm not sure HE meant to be quite so zealous, either (at least I HOPE not... I mean, I really do hope people realize that Jack Bauer is a fictional character... :)). I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he just really, really loves 24. Which is cool... no problem...

I took no offense from anyone -- this has been one of the more interesting posts I've had in a while! :)