Friday, September 15, 2006

Good thing she's not a kid...

So yesterday afternoon, I was standing here at my computer (yes, I tend to stand at my computer as opposed to sitting… it’s usually on the bar counter in the kitchen, so it’s at perfect “standing” height. Just a weird habit I’ve gotten into…) and I heard a muffled thumping noise. I figured it was Echo, finding a place for a nap in the other room, so I just ignored it at first. And then I heard it again, and as I looked over toward the front door (Echo’s favorite place to sleep) I realized she was already sound asleep on the kitchen floor – no doubt in the middle of some kind of squirrel-chasing dream (it’s actually pretty funny to watch her paws flicking back and forth when she’s asleep – I think she really DOES dream about chasing squirrels).

When I heard the noise for a third time, I realized it must be Allegro. Rick recently ordered some absolutely necessary electronic doohickeys (right? Electronic doohickeys are absolutely necessary for the well-being of men everywhere…), and there were a couple empty boxes in the entryway. So now it was obvious to me what was going on – Allegro, being the curious cat she is, jumped into one of the boxes to explore. And sure enough, as soon as I walked toward the entryway, I heard a faint little “meow,” as if there were layers of cardboard and perhaps some styrofoam peanuts between my cat and the outside world.

But when I looked inside the boxes, they were empty (save for all those annoying styrofoam peanuts). I walked into the TV room and called out tentatively, “Allegro?” The tiny little meow sounded out again, but this time I realized it was coming from back in the entryway. But I’d already checked the box, and the only other thing in the entryway is a black, wooden cabinet. Uh oh. I ran to the cabinet, and there, through the glass doors, I saw a little gray feline face peeking back at me. If she hadn’t been meowing so plaintively, she almost would’ve seemed like she belonged in there.

I popped open the doors and freed my imprisoned cat, realizing immediately what had happened. About a half hour earlier, I’d been cleaning up in the kitchen, where I had a stack of books I’ve recently finished. To get them out of the way, I decided to store them in that black wooden cupboard. I had the doors opened for what seemed like ten seconds, at the most. I must’ve turned away to gather up my books, at which point Allegro bounded into the exciting world of Mysterious Dark Place, and probably curled right up in the corner for a while. I have to assume she was completely content in there – until she realized there was no way to get out.

Usually I’m better about paying attention to those kinds of things – after years of owning a cat (or does my cat own ME?) I’ve learned that any open door, cupboard, drawer or cabinet is fair game. She has accidentally been trapped in the pantry, the closet, a dresser drawer filled with sweaters (she probably thought it was a bed), and kitchen cabinets. So I’ve gotten into the habit of never leaving the pantry door open, searching the closet before I close it, and opening dresser drawers and kitchen cabinets just long enough to remove whatever items I need. So my lapse of attention was unusual – I guess I don’t open that black cabinet very often…

Rick thought the whole thing sounded hilarious and wondered if I’d taken a picture. And to be honest, I thought about it AFTER I’d let her out – I should’ve just run for the camera and taken one little picture of the cat face pressed up against the glass. A few more seconds in the cabinet wouldn’t have hurt her. Oh well. Next time… :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww! Sounds like something Ozzie would do.

Love ya'

Anonymous said...

Ozzie used to love to sneak into the clothes dryer. Fortunately we always found him before we turned it on.

Lisa said...

That's good -- Ozzie is already fluffy and static-free, so a tumble in the dryer wouldn't have done him any good...