Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Much ado about nothing...

Gosh, I didn’t realize that one silly little post about 24 would stir up such controversy. (I’m continually surprised by the posts that generate lots of comments, versus the posts that generate very few… it’s usually not the way I expect it to be. :)) It WAS simply meant to be nothing more than an amusing commentary on the show – I mean, if I honestly cared about “realism” that much, I certainly wouldn’t be watching something like Lost. Lost is one of my favorite shows on TV right now, but I still find myself often wondering things like, “how do they all keep their clothes looking so clean and wrinkle-free when they’re always sitting in sand and running through the jungle?” Or, “how did she get her hair to look so nice? I can’t even get mine to look that good with fifteen different hair products and a curling iron.” Or, “is Claire actually wearing eyeliner??” Or, “why won’t Sayid take his shirt off more often?” (Oh wait… that has nothing to do with realism… never mind…) Okay, but how about, “how on earth did all those people survive a plane crash from cruising altitude???”

Or how about shows like CSI and House, where various tests and experiments are run and the results are immediately available? When does anyone EVER get the results of a blood test the same day it’s taken? Generally, it seems to take weeks for things like that to be done… yet if you believed television, you’d think the same person who drew your blood is the same one who’ll run it to the lab, look at it under a microscope, and come running right back up to you – where you, no doubt, are lounging around in a well-lighted, comfortable waiting room, reading an up-to-date magazine. No, television certainly isn’t known for its absolute realism…

My favorite TV show of all time is Northern Exposure – a show which was quite far removed from reality. But its LACK of reality was part of its quirky appeal. If the show had been “normal,” it wouldn’t have been nearly as fun to watch. If the characters had not been true “characters,” the show wouldn’t have worked as well as it did. There was the Jewish New York City doctor thrown into the middle of the vast Alaskan wilderness; the young Native American who frequently spoke to his invisible spirit guide; the super-rich, staunch Republican ex-NASA astronaut who alternately despised and appreciated the only gay couple in town (who had much more in common with him than he wanted to admit); the Saskatchewan beauty queen and her much-older barkeep boyfriend; the fiercely independent female bush pilot; and my personal favorite – the introspective, well-read, artistic, ex-con DJ. Not to mention the guy who lived in the bubble, the mute flying circus performer, the exceptionally quiet doctor’s office receptionist, the septuagenarian owner of the general store, the dirty and barefoot gourmet chef and his hypochondriac wife, and the over-zealous cop.

Northern Exposure bid farewell to its main character – the New York doctor Joel Fleischman – by sending him on a literary-themed journey through the Aleutians, where he eventually strolled past the snow and evergreens directly into a glittering city skyline. Realistic? Not in the least. Great television? Absolutely. The amazing thing about Northern Exposure was that it engaged viewers in such a way that we could forget about the unrealistic aspects of the show. In fact, the fanciful nature of the show is what MADE it what it was – a perfect means of “escape” from our boring everyday lives. For one hour, you could almost believe that a mute circus performer COULD fly. You could almost believe that a bizarre, barefoot man could create the best dinner you’d ever tasted. You could almost believe that living in the middle of nowhere in Alaska would be the most interesting experience of your life.

And for ME, at least, this is where 24 failed – it failed to engage me in such a way that I could forget about the lack of realism. The fact that no one ever eats or sleeps SHOULDN’T be a big deal, and yet somewhere around hour 14 or 15, they BECAME a big deal. Not because I cared all that much about the reality, but more because I was so bored with the storyline that my mind wandered into minutiae. I began to think that perhaps the show should’ve been called “15 Or Possibly 16,” because that’s about the point where I decided it had pretty much run its course. But hey, it’s just my opinion, and it’s obviously a very popular show. To each his own.

But honestly, everyone DOES understand that Jack Bauer is a fictional character, right? Just checking… :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe, Madam, you are forgetting the commercial breaks. When I hear the beep-beep-beep I know I have a couple minutes to grab some Mr. Pibb and Red Vines. (=crazy delicious)

Anonymous said...

Jack Bauer isn't real?? OMG! I guess the next thing you're going to do is tell me that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist. Come on. Everyone knows that Jack Bauer is real. He even posted a message at 2:10 a.m. --- See?? He doesn't sleep! :-)

Lisa said...

Hey Jack, don't forget to pick up some cupcakes, too. And if anyone tries to pass off Dr Pepper and Twizlers for Mr. Pibb and Red Vines, shoot 'em... :)

Greg! Greg is the mysterious anonymous poster! At last, we have a name to go with the comments! It's about time... :) But do you really think your threat of "southern exposure" will deter me from my campaign to malign the name of Jack Bauer? Ha!

Well... maybe it'll deter me for a little while... :)

JBAE Rampage said...

Good Post Lisa and I love the bantering comments too. Good stuff! It is good to see that anonymous has officially shed his anonymity. Thank you Greg for fessing up, although, when it comes to 24 apologetics, it an easy guess that Greg would be the shows most ardent evangelist – especially in this circle of readers.

My Take: Truthfully, 24 doesn’t need to apologize for much considering the amount of TV-award hardware the show has racked up but I lean toward Lisa’s argument regarding the show’s annoying avoidance – even implied – of anything related to…shall we say…calls of nature and I’m sure you know what I mean…we’re talking about sleeping, eating and well…you know…um…let’s just say…”bathrooming”…

We all know that these calls of nature are assumed and I agree. But because of the way the show is setup I think the viewer needs some confirmation of that – a glimpse here or there of a burger in Jack Bauer’s hand or maybe a segment of toilet paper stuck to his shoe as he engages in dangerous gun play over a nuclear warhead…something like this. It’s the show’s own fault too. The episodes are set up to show us a continual run of activities that occur on a minute by minute basis over hour without pause and it just seems improbable that none of the characters would have any needs of nature during that time. The timeframe structure in 24 leaves no room for assuming. If the viewer is seeing everything that happens minute by minute over the hour over a day then we need to see these calls of nature things too, even if by a fleeting reference. It brings us sense of completeness.

Other shows don’t have this issue because their timeframe structure allows for more liberal assumptions. They aren’t showing everything that happens minute by minute. They work better because the viewer understands that sometime during the course of a week or work day or whatever that the characters would have taken care of these things. We’re okay with it because we understand that these could have and would have happened. 24 leaves no room to imagine such since they are so hell-bent on showing us a minute by minute account of the show.

In the end, I still like the show, but confess that I’m annoyed about the above on occasion.

Other Possible Remedies (a few seconds of film time is all that is needed)

Show a CTU SUV at a Taco Bell drive-thru (they are open late, right and this is Los Angeles)

Film Jack threatening someone on his cell phone while in a stall at some restroom somewhere.

Show Jack catching a few z’s while being driven or flown to some location

Jack with a cup of Starbucks in his hand (The dude is up for 24 hours straight, he’s gonna need some caffeine)

Lisa said...

Nick -- exactly! You said it even better than I did. I mean, all these people are up for 24 hours straight, and we NEVER see them drinking coffee?? I'd be hooked up to a Starbucks IV if I had one of their jobs. :)

By the way -- you need a new blog post! POST SOMETHING! NOW!

Just a suggestion... :)

Lisa said...

Thanks, Greg! Since you gave me such a nice compliment, I WILL keep my Jack Bauer bashing to a minimum. :) And good for your wife for not allowing a little Keifer or Keiferess (Keiferess???) in your lives. I mean, plain old "Jack" might not have been so bad... or Chloe... or Edgar... no, wait, Edgar kinda sucks... :)

You know, there's a really good restaurant in Chicago called Keefer's -- spelled with two e's like that, but pronounced the same -- and every time I go there, I think of 24... :)

JBAE Rampage said...

I do have a blog, but I only have two posts and they are old. I don't have the time I'd like to devote to it and well that and four kids, job at Dell, music assistant at chuch and a touch of couch potato time too...I need to post again...agreed.

Lisa said...

Chase is nice... "Keifer" may have resulted in a lifetime of 24-related taunting. (Although I don't know, considering the popularity of the show, I wouldn't be surprised if that name is being chosen by parents quite often. :))

Nick, you couch potato, write a post for your blog... (again, just a suggestion... :))

JBAE Rampage said...

I take pride in my couch potatoing or is it potato couching? I need blog title ideas?
How 'bout Couching the potato...hmmm...sounds naughty, probably not.
Couching Dragon Flying Potatos?
It's no good, Lisa, you're the only capable of writing an entire blog about couch potatos. Have at it. Rick can be your inspiration, however, you may have to rename the blog to something like Computer Chair Potato. Hahaha. Ahem. Ok.

Anonymous said...

yer one to speak Nick... I have no couch in my study but you most certainly DO have something couch-like in yours! Is that a day bed?