Thursday, September 14, 2006

Couching the potato...

Sorry, I couldn’t resist that title. Although Nick is right, it DOES sound a little bit naughty… :)

But couching the potato aside, I am wondering where the term “couch potato” came from, exactly. I mean, I understand the “couch” part – if you hang out on the couch a lot, it would make sense for the object of your leisure to be a part of your colorful description. But potato? Why potato? Why not couch carrot? Or couch rutabaga? Or couch apple? Is it some sort of well-known fact that the potato is a particularly lazy vegetable? (And if it IS a well-known fact, why was I not aware of it??)

Actually, the potato seems to be one of the hardest-working veggies out there. It’s very versatile, and extremely popular. You can boil it, roast it, bake it, fry it… it gets along quite well with other vegetables, and melds with just about any condiment you can think of. If you have a sweet potato, it even makes a great dessert. Potatoes are out there working their dirty little eyes out, and we’ve made them a symbol for sloth and lack of ambition.

In fact, you don’t even have to EAT a potato for it to be useful. Who hasn’t made a potato stamp in art class at one point or another? (I hope I’m not the only one who made potato stamps…) You can even use them for cool science experiments – they have enough voltage to power small clocks. Lazy? I hardly think so…

And where would this world be without Mr. Potato Head? By the way, I recently saw a show about old toys, and I learned that Mr. Potato Head was originally sold as ONLY the nose and eyes and ears and other parts – you were supposed to provide your own potato. So these kids back in the 50’s (or whenever it was that Mr. Potato Head debuted) were using REAL potatoes, and piercing them with little plastic eyes and ears. I have this image of a kid keeping his beloved Mr. Potato Head hidden under the bed for far too long… do you suppose that’s why they eventually realized a PLASTIC potato would suffice?

Anyway, the point is – potatoes are anything but lazy. But perhaps this phrase has less to do with the hard-working potato, and more to do with the shape of the person it’s referring to. I suppose if you spend all your time lying around on a couch, you’ll eventually morph into a sort of round, lumpy mush, not unlike a big old plate of mashed potatoes.

It’s just a shame that the dynamic, industrious potato has to be linked with such behavior. I am now going to go jog on the treadmill, in my effort to become a not-so-fond-of-the-couch stalk of celery…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the potato part of couch potato might refer to potato chips - that's what you do as you're sitting on the couch watching TV - you eat potato chips. And the person who spends their time in front of the computer, instead of the TV, is referred to as a mouse potato. :)

Lisa said...

Haha! Mouse potato! That's funny. :) You may be right about potato chips. What do you call someone who eats popcorn on the couch every single night? That's what my dad does.... (And my dad is certainly no couch potato! :))

Evydense said...

Oh golly, I'm so sorry! I was going to comment on your blog today but I'm too busy catching up on old episodes of Sesame Street. Thank gosh I was able to save them all on TIVO. Now, to figure out if I'm a potato.......hmmm.......

(P.. and in case there is any doubt, my tongue is sticking so far in my cheek my tongue is stretching!)

Lisa said...

Evydense, that cracked me up! :) I wonder what 24 hours on Sesame Street would be like? (What DOES a giant yellow bird DO all day?) I think I should pitch that to FOX as a new show idea...

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that is Sesame Street was in real time like 24 we would see Mr. Hooper really kicking some serious a$$. (and yes, this is Greg...just can't remember my password)

Lisa said...

Hey Greg -- if you hit the "other" button when you leave a comment, you can type in your name or whatever you want without a password... and that way, it won't say "anonymous." Just FYI. :)

I always knew there was more going on in those, mean, dangerous, sesame-covered streets than they allowed us to see... that gives me an idea for another show -- Law and Order, FPU (Fluffy Puppet Unit)...