Sunday, September 03, 2006

Eeeeek!

I must be really bored tonight, because I'm sitting here watching this horrible movie called "The Cave." It's about a group of brave, intrepid scientists who go exploring in a rain forest... er, I mean, a cave. And they run into all sorts of furry bunnies and woodland creatures. Uh, I mean, scary monsters with sharp teeth. There's lots of singing and dancing and brightly colored costumes... wait, no, there's actually lots of yelling and screaming and drab stalactites and stalagmites. And some scuba diving. (No, really, there IS scuba diving...) So I would really NOT recommend this movie, unless you just have absolutely nothing else in the world to do.

Anyway, I just read dad's comment under my last post, and he's right -- that rattlesnake by their pool DID send a relative to my house. Some guys were landscaping the backyard and they found it curled up under a tree. It was weird, because unlike mom and dad's house, our house is NOT next to a marshy swamp or a field or an empty lot. We have a house behind us, and another house on one side, and we're on a corner lot so the rest is street. I'd have to assume the rattlesnake came from that same empty marshy area behind my parents' house, so in order to end up in my backyard it had to slither through a bunch of other backyards, then cross a street and sneak under my fence. Yet it DID find a way to make this journey, and the landscapers took a picture to document the occasion:

This was actually the FIRST rattlesnake I'd ever seen, in all the years I've lived in Texas. (And I didn't actually see this one in person -- the landscapers were kind enough to "get rid" of it for us. I don't know what they DID to it, exactly, and I really don't care... as long as it doesn't come back...) Fortunately, rattlesnakes really aren't all that common around here.

But scary cave monsters with sharp teeth -- well, that's another story...

No comments: