Sunday, September 17, 2006

Deer, deer and more...

Yesterday we were driving around in a neighborhood where there are plenty of empty lots, and we came upon a herd of deer. Not that it’s anything unusual – deer are quite plentiful here in Austin – but I don’t usually have my camera with me when I see them. But yesterday, we happened to have the camera in the car, so we snapped a few pictures:

Mom deer...


Dad deer...


Baby deer


While we were out driving, we passed a store which was descriptively named, “Beds, Beds, and More.” And I had to wonder – does that store REALLY sell more than just beds? Because if they DID sell more than just beds, don’t you think they could’ve come up with a second item to add to their title? I wish I could’ve been in the room for THAT brainstorming session:

Brain #1: Okay, we need a name for the new store. Something that reflects the fact that we have oodles of beds to sell, but also reflects the fact that we have MORE than that.

Brain #2: We have more than just beds?

Brain #3: We have pens by the register. You’re supposed to borrow them to sign your credit card receipts, but sometimes people steal them.

Brain #1: Yes! We have pens.

Brain #2: But they’re not really for sale…

Brain #1: Free pens!

Brain #3: How about “Beds and More”?

Brain #1: But we have so many beds. So very many beds.

Brain #2: And we don’t REALLY have more than that…

Brain #3: Beds, Beds and More!

Brain #1: I love it! Gets right to the point… and tells people we have a whole lotta beds.

Brain #2: But we DON’T have more!

Brain #1: You’re a very negative person, aren’t you?

Brain #2: Forget it. I quit.

Brain #3: Here – have a pen…


Talking about funny stores reminds me of a strip mall not too far from my house. Every time I see it, it makes me smile, because of the three businesses at the end of the complex: a liquor store, a gun shop, and a bank. It’s like one-stop shopping for all your criminal needs. Get all liquored up, buy a gun, rob a bank… run across the street to Starbucks and drink coffee until you’re sober and realize what a horrible mistake you’ve made… (I just threw that part in because I suddenly remembered there’s a Starbucks across the street…)

And on an entirely different subject – a grandma update, for anyone who hasn’t heard: she’s doing much better. For a while, her kidneys had shut down, and they thought she’d need dialysis permanently, but then she surprised everyone when her kidneys started working again. She’s doing so much better that they discharged her from the hospital and they’ve sent her to rehab (because apparently she developed a nasty crystal meth habit while she was in the hospital… sorry – am I the only one who finds that amusing? Grandma’s in rehab? Funny? No? Okay, never mind…). She’s in rehab because she’s been lying around in a hospital bed for a few weeks and is having trouble walking now. So she’ll be there while she regains her strength.

And now I’m off to get some coffee, since dad just sent me a text message to brag about how he’s on his second cup. I haven’t had ANY coffee today, and if I don’t drink some pretty soon, I’ll feel like crawling back into bed. Or bed bed…

No comments: